Reki's AX Update! Yuki Kajiura's Focus Panel

Important announcements and information from the forum managers.
Reki
Book Boy

Reki's AX Update! Yuki Kajiura's Focus Panel

Post by Reki »

Konnichiwa, mina-sama! It's time for another update!

Now that everyone is back from Anime Expo 2003, we have some interesting information to share with you!

AX had the good fortune of having Guest of Honor Yuki Kajiura in attendance, and we were able to find out a little about her music in regards to .hack!

Sora-san was the moderator for her Focus Panel, and I know that Tsukasa-san was also in attendance, and Balmung-san may have been there, but he was probably being a ninja in the corner... But that is where our information comes from!

... The moderators, that is, not the corner. ^^;

Anyway! Kajiura-san was able to share a lot of her music with us, including two music videos, samples from her other works, and songs from her new CD, Fiction, which is available through most online music stores. I recommend Amazon.com, personally.

Musical Producer Nozaki-san said that if your preferred music ordering site does not carry Fiction, you should write them a nasty e-mail about it ^^; Thank you, Nozaki-san!

Arara... Back to the subject, it seems that Kajiura-san had a lot of free reign when making the music for .hack, as it seems that the people who hire her know that her best work is done when she has the freedom to make the kind of music she wants. Many of her favorite pieces were done for .hack, and you can hear some of the remixed versions on the Fiction CD.

Kajiura-san mentioned that, when she and her violinist were recording some music for a later part of .hack//SIGN, they were able to watch the first episode for the first time. Much to her and the violinist's surprise, they found that the director had chosen to play the first song, 'The World', all the way through, instead of just bits and pieces like most background songs are done in anime. They kept waiting for the song to end... They both thought that was a little odd, and she mentioned that it's usually the case of musician asking if more of the piece could be put in, and not asking if it shouldn't be shortened somehow ^^;

Kajiura-san also commented that, when she composed the opening and ending songs of .hack//SIGN, she had thought that the ending song, 'Yasashii Yoake' would be the opening, and 'Obsession' would be the ending song. However, the director was quite vehement, saying that he wanted 'Obsession' as the opening song. Kajiura-san was a little confused at that, but once she saw the show, she agreed with his decision.

Tsukasa-san asked Kajiura-san what the significance of the 'A Tone' in both her music and in the series was. Kajiura-san said that the frequency of that sound is the one that will travel the farthest in a natural environment, which ties in to one of the themes of .hack. That made a lot of sense, and we were grateful to be privy to that information!

Asmaria-san asked a question regarding Bridge05, one of the songs on the .hack//Extra soundtrack, wondering why she chose to use the banjo. Kajiura-san replied that she was asked to compose a 'silly' piece of music to be used in more humerous scenes. She was very distraught over it, not knowing, exactly, how to make a 'silly' song. However, on TV, she saw a silly show with banjos on it, and that gave her the idea to use the banjo in that song.

Though she was not asked at that particular panel, Kajiura-san revealed, elsewhere, that her favorite .hack character is Sora. ^^

One fan asked if she intended to return to the US to do more concerts. She said she would like to, but there is something of a large body of water between them which may prove difficult. However, should the opportunity be provided again, Kajiura-san seemed to be fond of the idea of returning.

Well, that's about all that they could remember for now. As an interesting note, Kite-san won Kajiura-san's watch at the charity auction ^^; It's a very nice watch, too! Also, as Kite-san was able to spend a lot of time with Kajiura-san, he may or may not want to give a little report on what he found out from talking to her.

Until next time!
"Ii na, ii na...ii na, ii na...hoshii na, HOSHII..."
Kite
Lugnut Mod

Post by Kite »

<.< >.> Speaking of watch.... where did I put it?

I really don't have much to add to things, I missed the panel due to some slight changes in plans.

She was very pleasant to chat with and discovered the joys of falafel....

She did mention her family was very mundane - white collar workers and the like... who were quite surprised when she mentioned she wanted to go into music (of course they tried to dissuade her - obviously it didn't work)
Come with me in the twilight of a summer night for awhile
Tell me of a story never ever told in the past
Balmung
... sasuga watashi.

Post by Balmung »

If you must know, I was not "in a corner," Reki. I was actually a row in front of Tsukasa, and commenting that I was hearing disembodied Sora voices since I couldn't see him until later. u.u

Kajiura-san was very lucky to have the opportunity to write music and put out her own works with so little background work, I believe she had mentioned.

In her See-Saw music videos, she would be playing a keyboard, mainly with her right hand, and it was obvious she was thoroughly into the music. I missed the concert itself, unfortunately, but attending Kajiura-san's focus panel itself was quite entertaining.
711224 11111224 11125 2 83212 711224 111112554 420 170 42112 711224 11111224 11125177 711224 11125 43
Reki
Book Boy

Post by Reki »

U-uso! You out-ninjaed Sora-san?! Balmung-san, you're really the greatest!

But yes, a fan had mentioned to Kajiura-san that he had noticed, both in the concert and in the videos, that she is very involved in her music, and tends to move her body as she plays. Kajiura-san said that Japanese fans have also mentioned this, and she never realized it until someone pointed it out ^^;
"Ii na, ii na...ii na, ii na...hoshii na, HOSHII..."
Balmung
... sasuga watashi.

Post by Balmung »

Reki wrote:U-uso! You out-ninjaed Sora-san?! Balmung-san, you're really the greatest!
...sasuga...watashi.
711224 11111224 11125 2 83212 711224 111112554 420 170 42112 711224 11111224 11125177 711224 11125 43
Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Post by Tsukasa »

*facepalms*

As another note, Kajiura is currently working on another project that the information for cannot be disclosed. I think the date was... July 21st or something when the Japanese announcement will be made.
Budget Zen: When you see something so stupid that your mind goes blank rather than try to rationalize it.