.hack//sign characters

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Woodrow
Lowbie

.hack//sign characters

Post by Woodrow »

They look the same as .hack//infection characters but they have diffrent names. Whats up with that.
Jerec
Player Character

Post by Jerec »

The answer is quite simple.

It's a game.. and people will won't be able to be totally original. They have to choose from a palatte of colors, clothes, hair, face, etc. Everyone's drawing from this same palatte, so you're likely to find someone looking like you.

Of course, there are hackers like Helba who make their own design.
** Leader of The Chaos Chambers @ Aniverse
** President of the Republic of Antarticanistanicalandiaesicorean
** Hang Gliding Enthusiast!
Rubedo
Legend

Re: .hack//sing characters

Post by Rubedo »

Sora wrote:Regarding Avatars, we request that you do not have a duplicate avatar. Meaning, if a registered user already has a certain character icon, do not take it and use it for your own. We don't have an avatar library, so it's up to you to provide your own.

There are a few reasons for this, but mostly it's,

A) Some of us put work into capturing and creating our icons, it's rude to just take them without permission

B) For us Moderators who often have to skim through threads, it's confusing to see the same picture for two different people. We don't often have the time to read every name, so we tend to use the avatars as identifiers.. that's their purpose in the first place, really o.-

So, please follow these guidelines ^^; it makes our job so much easier.

*ninjas off* Shu~ppa!
And Woodrow, your avatar, is that not Sora's avatar?
Last edited by Rubedo on Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That misty night, that dismal moon. The dead search for their kin.
While angels sing, in endless dark. The dead seek out sin."

"The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh"
Jerec
Player Character

Post by Jerec »

Basically.. don't use someone else's avatar.. yours is being used by a mod. The mods usually distinguish people by their avatar, not their name.
Woodrow
Lowbie

ok changed it

Post by Woodrow »

I changed my avator is this one good???
Krono
Legend

Post by Krono »

is it someone else's? if no... then yes, it is a good one...
Only in dreams; We see what it means
Reach out our hands; Hold on to hers
But when we wake; It's all been erased
And so it seems; Only in dreams
Woodrow
Lowbie

thanks

Post by Woodrow »

Krono thanks i saw it on a site does any one know who my avator is cause i dont???
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

:cry: You may want to look it up on awebsite, your question is not .hack// related. It's a Fuushigi Yuugi character. Kouji I beleive he is named. Sorry, mods, but that's the second time he asked, so i just decided to answer him before he causes another thread to be locked... ~_~ *head explodes from baka-radiation*
YashaOokami
Legend

Post by YashaOokami »

.hack//Sing xD!
I'm sorry..I found that very amusing.
Ooo..Kouji? Hehe,I like him.. anyways...
Of course, there are hackers like Helba who make their own design.
Cant forget Mia! Well...not player wise that is :/
And what about Piros?

[spoiler]I read in,the .hack//mysteries,that he edited his character.[/spoiler]
"True strength comes with time..through presistent training!!"-Ouka,Vol. 2
Jerec
Player Character

Post by Jerec »

Piros..
[spoiler]In the DVD for Liminality 2, there is a secret section that says that Piros did indeed use an edited character. He works for CC Corp as a graphics designer or something and plays The World during and after work.[/spoiler]
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

Jerec wrote:Piros..
[spoiler]In the DVD for Liminality 2, there is a secret section that says that Piros did indeed use an edited character. He works for CC Corp as a graphics designer or something and plays The World during and after work.[/spoiler]
That's what I thought! He looks like every other large axe-using male character, except he doesn't wear a helmet. So I figured he was special, but somebody argued with me. I don't remember which thread that was in... :?
hrist
Lowbie

Post by hrist »

I do kind of find it weird that some of the characters look EXACTLY the same... mostly Elk and Tsukasa, and BlackRose and Mimiru. Yeah, it's a game, so there are a limited number of character designs, as it were, but having major characters who look pretty near exactly the same but aren't particularly related is a bit odd, especially when you think about it from the creators' perspective. I understand why and how it makes sense, but I'm a little curious why they decided to do it that way (not that we'll probably ever know). Did they want to make the series seem connected? Or, on the other end of the possibility spectrum, were they being lazy bums and not want to come up with another set of character designs?

Of course, for all I know it could be addressed elsewhere in the series and I just haven't encountered it yet. Heck, there's enough weird crap going on in The World that I'd buy it if characters who looked a certain way tended to get involved in weird stuff. Makes as much sense as any other reason. ...well, not really, but hey.
You must desire respite from thy empty existance... thou shalt have it!
Nebu
Player Character

Post by Nebu »

I changed my avator is this one good???
OMG YES! I LOVE KOUJI! (I have my own Kouji fan club n.n)
Poe was here.
my new .hack image gallery: http://www.iguuy-igihsuf.com/inyourmind

"God loves you whether you like it or not"
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

hrist wrote:I do kind of find it weird that some of the characters look EXACTLY the same... mostly Elk and Tsukasa, and BlackRose and Mimiru. Yeah, it's a game, so there are a limited number of character designs, as it were, but having major characters who look pretty near exactly the same but aren't particularly related is a bit odd, especially when you think about it from the creators' perspective. I understand why and how it makes sense, but I'm a little curious why they decided to do it that way (not that we'll probably ever know).
I think the existence of similar Player Characters in the .hack project is intended to relate the experience of real MMORPGs. If you've ever played one, chances are you've encountered other players that look exactly the same as you, or pretty close at least. .hack does this to help simulate the "real" (I use the term loosely) thing.
hrist
Lowbie

Post by hrist »

Invisible Egg! wrote: I think the existence of similar Player Characters in the .hack project is intended to relate the experience of real MMORPGs. If you've ever played one, chances are you've encountered other players that look exactly the same as you, or pretty close at least.
Well yeah. I mean, to use the one MMORPG I play as an example... I've met half a dozen other people who look like my Ragnarok Online swordie, and pretty near every third female mage in the danged game looks like my mage. BUT.

That's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is... why did they basically decide to make, say, BlackRose and Mimiru look almost identical? I mean, personality-wise and as far as their roles in their respective sections of the .hack universe, they're actually pretty darned similar. And I'm sure there are different hairstyles/costumes/so forth for female heavy blades. So why did they opt to make the female leads in the games AND Sign look the same right down to the overall colorscheme? If they had a couple aspects in common I'd think your explanation was all there was to it, but as it is I feel like there had to be something more going on in the head of the person who made that decision.

I know that it's entirely likely, if not dead certain, that another character would look just like yours, but I sort of feel like that can't be the only reason they opted to make two different characters who play very similar roles in their respective series virtually indistinguishable from each other. If all they were trying to communicate is that this is in fact an MMORPG and characters look the same a lot, it's WAY overkill. They could have done that by having some of the characters from Sign happen to resemble some character who happened to walk by in the games, or something like that. They didn't have to nearly clone some of the characters (right down to the personalities in some cases) and plop them in another series with a different name. I feel like there ought to be a deeper reason for that than there being a limited number of character-appearance combinations.
You must desire respite from thy empty existance... thou shalt have it!