At last... Double Victory!

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Pipian
Player Character

At last... Double Victory!

Post by Pipian »

Not only did .hack come in... But my Megatokyo GN did too. VICTORY!
Asmaria
Player Character

Post by Asmaria »

Yay for you! :) What's Megatokyo?
Durhi - Retarded puchiguso
error
Player Character

Post by error »

www.megatokyo.com - it's an american made web manga.
[The Adventures of Dane and Chase] <- Click the linkie, I dare you.
KidGenki
Player Character

??

Post by KidGenki »

Americans made Manga?

is it possible?
" Im not saying
goodbye or hiding from the World im just saying screw it..."
Terra
Player Character

Post by Terra »

acualy it wouldn't be considered manga if it was made in the US

manga is the japaness word for comic, so basicly comic made is japan is manga and if it's made in US it's a comic

well there's a little more to it then that, but it's the general idea
Terra Queen of Chaos, D., and Destruction
Plusie Queen
Admin of Realm of Chaos
Sora
Shaka Shaka Maraca

Post by Sora »

Technically, it -is- manga, as it's a black and white comic of the Japanese style. Whether or not it is made in Japan isn't the issue.

The fact is, the way of American Comics and Japanese comics are VERY different, and the way they're made is the base of it, really. American comics are done by a large team of people, none of whom can really take the credit for doing it, as it's a deam effort (scripters, pencilers, inkers, coloring guys) while manga is generally done by a smaller 'team', but few of the members get mentioned. All of the credit goes to the person who was in charge, pretty much, that person doing the penciling and sometimes inking of the main characters, composing the story, etc etc, while their assistants do the more menial tasks of backgrounds, panels, background characters, ETC, and unless the manga artist wants to mention them, they're generally unknown n.n;

I know a few of the artists who now have their manga published in the US, and it is technically manga, even if the way they create it is more like doujinshi. However, doujinshi are generally self-published, and while Megatokyo and Soul Union -were- self published, now they've been picked up and are being produced in volumes (at least, Soul Union is. Megatokyo is a very strange webcomic and manga, selling volumes of free released material a la Sluggy Freelance)

However, arguing technicalities is fruitless, as we're really arguing over people's opinions, not word definitions.

Suffice it to say, most people consider Megatokyo to be manga because of its format and similarity to Japanese manga, and you'd just be confusing the majority of people if you said otherwise.

Yes, we can see Sora did a lot of studying in this area, how did you know? o.o
Pipian
Player Character

Post by Pipian »

Megatokyo's slightly closer to 4-koma than manga I'd say. Especially through Chapter 0
Alza

Post by Alza »

Very cool. ^_^

*wants*
*broke*
...*saaaaaad*
I disapprove of signatures.
Sora
Shaka Shaka Maraca

Post by Sora »

*nods to Pipian* Yes, it was 4 coma for a while, before Piro decided he wanted to make it more like manga o.o