Everyone's favorite shadow...

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Deimos
Player Character

Everyone's favorite shadow...

Post by Deimos »

...Cubia!

"Cubia is a shadow. When there is a light burning in the darkness, a shadow is formed. When the Bracelet appeared in this world, Cubia was born as well. The Bracelet and Cubia are two sides of the same coin. If you defeat Cubia, the Bracelet will be destroyed."

The above is pretty close to what Aura said just before the final showdown with Cubia. The Liminality 4 Easter Egg expands on this, stating that Cubia was designed to balance the system against edited characters and illegal items. When the Bracelet was destroyed, Cubia lost its purpose for existing, and vanished. This fits perfectly with Aura's shadow metaphor. If a light is extinguished, the shadow created by that light goes with it.

But if Cubia gets killed, why would the Bracelet be destroyed as well? I just don't get that. A shadow is created by light and cannot exist without light, but the reverse isn't true. Cubia was just a monster made by Morganna to defend against threats like the Bracelet, so its death shouldn't affect the Bracelet at all, unless they're connected on a deeper level. And if they are, how? Kite's data is not easy to screw around with. Lios' vaccines failed, and Data Drain doesn't hit Kite nearly as hard as it should. If something can be bound to the Bracelet so closely that its destruction will destroy the Bracelet as well, why didn't Morganna take advantage of that? She could just link it to a random monster somewhere and get rid of a big threat really easily. The only thing I can think of to explain the situation is that Aura misspoke. Perhaps she meant that the Bracelet would have to be destroyed in order to get rid of Cubia for good, like how a shadow will remain until the light that creates it goes.
But that just doesn't seem likely to me. :? Aura probably wouldn't be that far off base. If anybody here can explain this, please do. I really don't get it.
Searchman

Post by Searchman »

The Bracelet wouldn't be destroyed with Cubia. Cubia only exists because the Bracelet does, not the other way around. Cubia's purpose is to counteract the Bracelet's power, bringing balance to The World (but we all know how well that worked). The only way to get rid of Cubia is to get rid of it's purpose- if there's nothing to counter, then Cubia isn't needed.

Short version: Destroying the Bracelet destroys Cubia, but destroying Cubia doesn't automatically destroy the Bracelet.

Or at least that's my opinion.
Trading is about give and take. That goes for information as well...
TheUltimateTwinBlade
Player Character

o_o

Post by TheUltimateTwinBlade »

okay dude, i posted a topic exactly like this earlier around when .hack//quarantine came out, thats what the search function is for, USE IT
Mirielle-wait a minute... thats no ordinary shark,thats an extremely rare version!
Ouka-a super monster custom-made for this event!
Mirielle-I WANT IT I WANT IT
Ouka-FINALLY A WORTHY OPPONENT
"::gasp:: PEPPY did you grow..BOSOMS!?"-pepper anne
Deimos
Player Character

Post by Deimos »

You're talking about "Time To Clear Up the Cubia Questions?" I did look over that topic before posting, and my question was not discussed there. You guys were talking about its purpose for existing and why it did what it did more than anything else. Here's what I'm asking:

Aura states that killing Cubia will destroy the Bracelet. However, if Cubia was simply a response to the Bracelet like the Liminality Easter Egg says, why would Cubia's death take the Bracelet with it?

The "Cubia can't die as long as the Bracelet exists" theory sounds possible, but why run away if you can't lose?
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Post by thedudewhosadude »

ahh, but Cubia can lose! Kite just didn't take advantage of Cubia's losses. As said in the mentioned thread, Aura is a part of the system. Everytime Kite was reunited with Aura, Cubia interveined. He needed to protect the system, which ment protecting Aura from Kite. Since Aura was split into three parts, Cubia didn't have to worry that much, so long as Aura's segments didn't join together again. However, once her third fragment was restored to her, she became vulnerable again, forcing Cubia to defend her. Think of Cubia like a dog, and Aura like it's master (although the master has no control of the dog)
You're only young once, but you're NEVER too old to be immature.
wolf.song
Player Character

Post by wolf.song »

O_O..........Uh, what? I didn't get that. So, you're saying that Cubia is somewhat good?
Kite: Aaaaaaaah! Tanned Devil, tanned devil! Stay away from me you leader of hell! - .hack Dating Game Ch.2

Mr. Consumer, we're in a consumer economy--so consume your cake! Consume! Consume! - Digiko Di Gi Charat
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Post by thedudewhosadude »

well, Cubia was doing what he was programmed to be doing. Cubia didn't know that Kite wasn't trying to hurt Aura, he was basically tricked into thinking that he was trying to.
You're only young once, but you're NEVER too old to be immature.
Deimos
Player Character

Post by Deimos »

Cubia did lose several fights with Kite and ran away. If it were connected to the Bracelet so closely that it could accomplish its mission (getting rid of Kite) by dying, it wouldn't have a reason to run. If it beats Kite and destroys the Bracelet, it wins. If gets killed, the Bracelet goes with it, and it still wins. It doesn't take the opportunity to fight to the death the first time, which could mean that it somehow pulled a Macha and developed a limited will of its own, or it wasn't closely tied to the Bracelet at all. But if Cubia wasn't linked like that, why did Aura say it was?
Searchman

Post by Searchman »

The reason Aura said that? Simple. To motivate Kite. If she hadn't said that, then Kite probably would have fought Cubia until he ran out of oomph, at which point Cubia would have deleted Kite. I mean, would YOU have thought to destroy the Bracelet to get rid of Cubia if you were in his place?

Or, it could just be a *gasp* PLOT HOLE!!!
Deimos
Player Character

Post by Deimos »

So she was hinting at Cubia's weak point...
Yeah, that theory makes sense. She probably knew that the Bracelet would not be needed against Corbenik, so destroying it to easily get rid of Cubia wouldn't hurt in the long run. Thanks, Searchman.
Searchman

Post by Searchman »

No problem. It never hurts to help someone understand something new.