Could it work?

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Gandalf
Lowbie

Post by Gandalf »

The Strike Force SFSS Star Wars SubSpace Squad, of which I was a member a very long time ago, was greatly respected. SubSpace may not be a MMORPG, but it is an MMO game. The Strike Force players were pretty much the elite players -- the best of the best --, I remember helping out lots of newbies as well as doing as many moderator tasks as possible without having moderator powers. So yes, they can work. As long as there are strict rules that are strictly followed.
Restraining players, or making (gaming) life for them impossible would be wrong. But hunting down and killing (in subspace anyway) the lamers is a greatly appreciated job :).
Dark Hawk

Post by Dark Hawk »

You are right but than people lookf for and find these darn loopholes (I find them by accdent but rarely use it) and screw the people like the CK many times. And not only lamers and newbies too, season people do that too, which pisses me off :x
When darkness trys to overtakes the world, a hero is born. But now darkness is trying again, but no hero is born. What happen to him? Are you that lost Hero? (yes I am Crazy but smart most of the times)
Black Lotus
Player Character

Post by Black Lotus »

When you are endorsed by the system that you are working for(moderators and game ops) it makes everything much easier because you are pretty much untouchable. The only person who can do something to you is a good hacker and to be truthful they are few and far between
P.S. I broke 100!
Kenshin is awesome!
Gandalf
Lowbie

Post by Gandalf »

Any decent online game is hack and cheat free.
SubSpace is a client based game, yet it's been ages since I caught anyone cheating. The only cheaters we do have are people running (softice) debuggers to mess with their stats, but that's quickly overcome.
When you're endorsed by the system people will automatically avoid you. No one likes being friends with mods.
Black Lotus
Player Character

Post by Black Lotus »

Gandalf wrote:When you're endorsed by the system people will automatically avoid you. No one likes being friends with mods.
This does not hold true for what ive seen. Besides just because you are a mod doesnt man you dont have an account as a player as well...
P.S. I broke 100!
Kenshin is awesome!
Gandalf
Lowbie

Post by Gandalf »

Black Lotus wrote:
Gandalf wrote:When you're endorsed by the system people will automatically avoid you. No one likes being friends with mods.
This does not hold true for what ive seen. Besides just because you are a mod doesnt man you dont have an account as a player as well...
True true. Multiple identities however are a serious pain in the rear end.
Dark Hawk

Post by Dark Hawk »

Gandalf wrote:
When you're endorsed by the system people will automatically avoid you. No one likes being friends with mods
I like being friends with mods sometimes on mIRC servers...I don't try to avoid them most of the time.
When darkness trys to overtakes the world, a hero is born. But now darkness is trying again, but no hero is born. What happen to him? Are you that lost Hero? (yes I am Crazy but smart most of the times)
Gandalf
Lowbie

Post by Gandalf »

Well of course not, IRC isn't a game.
I think pretty much everyone breaks a rule (big or small) in an (online) game at one point.
Dark Hawk

Post by Dark Hawk »

It's the same consitp though. I think....also you can probly get some information the common aren't suppose to have truly have like upcomming events/prizes/other junk so you can prepare better.
Ruby Red Rose
Player Character

Post by Ruby Red Rose »

I for one like being friends with Mods...at least on boards. They tend to be cool people. And no, this is not brown nosing. I've found this to be true on most of the boards I post at, with only 2 or 3 exceptions.

For one thing, they tend to be knowledgable about the topic of the board, and since the board topic is something I'm interested in (otherwise, why would I be there?) I can talk to them about stuff I'm intersted in, instead of just meaningless babble. (of course, babble is good to, in it's place... :lol: )

Back to the point of this topic: Trying to Mod only works if you have some real power. So un-official modding doesn't really work, unless the person you're trying to moderate actually wants your help. Which is rare.

I tend to agree with Subaru in that un-official groups should not band together and start trying to do a mod's job for them. Pointing out the rules, and being helpful in other ways (a la Bear) is great, but trying to tell someone they CAN'T do something is silly. All you can do is threaten to tell the mod...which is why "no one wants to be friends with mods" apparently. :wink:
Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate and captain of your soul.
Sora
Shaka Shaka Maraca

Post by Sora »

Well, I'm saddened to hear nobody wants to be my friend :(

o.-

Actually, in terms of sucking up or brown nosing or whatever... well, frankly, none of that affects me. I'm either going to like you, or I'm not. That's something that wouldn't change if I were a normal user. I don't give out inside tips or tricks or hints.. there aren't really any secrets on this board, and anything that IS secret.. well, we don't tell you, you don't need to know ^_^

So yeah, I moderate what needs to be moderated, but I'm happy to be friends with people I would normally consider being friends with in another environment, you know?

So that's what I think so far as that. I do treat this more like a job that's enjoyable, and so I don't goof off all the time, but I'm not exactly gonna keep myself isolated from everyone. I'm simply not a chatty person on boards, PM, or even IRC all the time ^^; Sorry.

And stuff!
Terra
Player Character

Post by Terra »

sounds like me at times
Terra Queen of Chaos, D., and Destruction
Plusie Queen
Admin of Realm of Chaos
Black Lotus
Player Character

Post by Black Lotus »

To be truthful most people like to suckup to the mods in mmorpg and other online games because they think we can help them out or give them cool items or whatever is in that particular game. For some games I was harassed so much that i just left because some people bother the mods so much. Respect all mods please because you never know who else they might be, and they might decide to delete your acct.
P.S. I broke 100!
Kenshin is awesome!