I think I finally figured out why Mai doesn't go into coma

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Rhyste
Legend

I think I finally figured out why Mai doesn't go into coma

Post by Rhyste »

This requires a viewing of OVA1 and OVA3:

When Mai and Kasumi were playing The World, Mai had just been introduced to it. Chances were, she really didn't want to be there, and was just playing the game because Kasumi is her boyfriend. Mai was on the "outside," the real world, and she didn't want to go "inside," to the net world. Kasumi was "outside," and he wanted to go, "inside." Ichirou hauntingly tells Kyoko and Tokuokua, "Where was Kasumi's mind? On the inside, or the outside?" ... so, where was Mai's? It was on the outside: she wasn't trying to get inside.

... thus, Liminality saved Mai.
and god said unto cain, "wow you're pretty stupid."
Terra
Player Character

Post by Terra »

realy, my guess was that she somehow disconected before Skite got her and the second time she was aware of the treth and disconected herself and managed to get him out just before Skite got him, but i'd have to say it was a pretty close call for him
Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Post by Tsukasa »

I also think that the fact that Mai has perfect pitch and plays violin has a part of it as well. She recognized the A-Tone whereas no one else did. When playing music, you tune your instrument on the key of A... even if you're instrument isn't keyed to C... If that makes sense.

(A saxophone is keyed to the key of E-flat, which makes it that you use 'G' to tune... but when you transpose an E-flat G into the key of C, it becomes A. n.n;; )

When I was actively playing in band in high school, I could hum the note of A easily, because we had to know it, and how it sounded. I'm starting to slowly get that back, since I started again this semester...

However... The A-Tone is hitting a point subliminally to cause the mind to drop into the coma as such. I can't remember where from, but I remember reading something on the A-Tone triggering something with the pituitary gland when it is heard, that begins the chain reaction to cause the coma.

It's proven in the Liminality series, though, that Mai can hear the tones, even when no one else can.

I think the liminal statements are on a point for something else... However... I think the base fact is the recognition of the tone that begins the entire breakdown. When Mai came out of her coma in the beginning, she did say 'aaaa'. She's recognizing the note.
Budget Zen: When you see something so stupid that your mind goes blank rather than try to rationalize it.
Rhyste
Legend

Post by Rhyste »

Yea; I thought it had to do with Mai's affinity with Music. I used to play the Violin myself... actually, both of those could work. XD
and god said unto cain, "wow you're pretty stupid."
Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Post by Tsukasa »

*nods* Actually... I think it's a chain reaction of events... The reason she didn't stay in a coma was because she had broken the first chain of the events, and she consciously recognized the tone which was meant to be percieved by the subconscious only. Because with that in mind, you want to find what Liminality is... and I think that's the boundary between the 'inside' and the 'outside', or the 'conscious' and the 'subconscious'.

...or something like that. x.x;;

However, the problem with the situation is that if you need to get the results that Harold is wanting, wouldn't you not only want to pull the person's consciousness aside, as well as their subconsciousness? And... when Mai actively made note of that which was meant for her subconsciousness... she was hit by the first effect... and that was the unconsciousness state... but she wasn't in any worse condition from that, because she actively recognized something that she should not have.

I'm hoping that makes sense. @.@;;; Because I'm just babbling now. n.n;;
Budget Zen: When you see something so stupid that your mind goes blank rather than try to rationalize it.
Jetfire99
Player Character

Post by Jetfire99 »

I sort of get what your saying Mai pretty much was able to some how resist the pull into the game. Anyhow we shall see what develops later on yes? :)
As the Rain falls...
I close my eyes...
And dream of rings...
spinning in the darkness....

-An unknown Hunter
Terra
Player Character

Post by Terra »

*would have never thought of that, knowing nothing about music*
AirSpiritX
Eaten by the Puchiguso

Post by AirSpiritX »

I tune to F........and I play trombone, a C instrument.....
I like doing sigs and avatars, just ask and I will make you one or both.
Atomsk
Lowbie

Post by Atomsk »

I think I understand what you meant. Not only was the A there to begin with, her being able to hear something she shouldn't have been able to pick up that was to start triggering the whole events.

Similar to seeing a car before you step out into the street, You've broken the first chain of events that would lead to you being hit by the car. Thus your left uneffected.

I like that idea of how things happened. When I was thinking about it the first time about how she kept from being in acoma, I noticed the A note thing as well. Maybe not how to tune it and such, but that she noticed it, and the other guy didn't and maybe when she was going in acoma, she was focusing on that sound. Similar to how hot coal walkers focus on walking on Ice or such whenever they walk across hot coals, not being pulled into the subconcious illusion. After reading Tsukasa's statement, I think this one is badly thought up.
. H A C K // S O R A
Player Character

Post by . H A C K // S O R A »

that all makes perfect sence. but i am not sure why one would need to se ova #3? evorything stated here has so far gone over 1, except for the asking where your mind was. but realy mai seems like the last girl i liked. not intrested in anime or videogames. she would get the same nonshalont look to her face when i played her unreal turny 2k3 in our home network. and was even less inthused about The ghost in the shell Stand alone complex. but she seemd to like .hack//sign. sorry for rambling. anyways i figured that was why, i was kind of hopeing for maby a better awnser. thats all.
Brad_Evans
Player Character

Post by Brad_Evans »

I think Rhys's Theory is the one that makes sense the most ^__^

Now. How bout Tokuoka?
Pagyuu~ desunoh?
Rune Grey
Player Character

Post by Rune Grey »

Well, there is also something from Dusk that you have to consider as well - they partially explain the coma phenomina (abet, only for that instance, but I don't see why the method can't be expanded to other parts of the series) as being that those who are trapped in The World are caught in 'An Illusion of Death'. The World has convinced them that they have died, and thus their bodies mimic the fact that they are in their minds, dead.

However, the illusion doesn't have the power to affect the lower lizard portion of the brain, and thus the body remains alive and functioning as usual, with only the conciousness remaining 'dead'. Its possible that Mai and Tokuoka were not experienced enough in the world to know that they had 'died' there.

The mechanism for people like Tsukasa and Rena being up and active in the World might be a lot different, but this seems as good a theory as any for why people get stuck there.
Cha.

~Perpetual Thorn of Logic and Reason~