Mia and Elk, how would it ends? Theories please

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Rhyste
Legend

Post by Rhyste »

ichi wrote:I dont think cats have souls either. :idea: This thread is longer than a flight to Mars. It's getting old and boring. If I were a mod, I would lock it.....
Ichi, if I was an Admin, I'd ban you for spamming the crap out of topics like so. You DO NOT get a frickin' trophy for spamming topics and making the most off-topic posts within a topic: k? THX.
You make a good point Rhyste, I'll find out. If you'll excuse me...I have some bullets to dodge. EDIT 3 hours later in a hospital bed: Nope, this isn't the Matrix....
xD Aw, poor Xeno. xP I'll send you a get well teddy bear.
Don't mean to sound like some cheap Disney movie; but Mostly a soul is deffined as a will to be. A quality for something that makes it unique & what it is.
The soul and spirit are whatever you want it to be.
and god said unto cain, "wow you're pretty stupid."
Rubedo
Legend

Post by Rubedo »

ichi wrote:I dont think cats have souls either. :idea: This thread is longer than a flight to Mars. It's getting old and boring. If I were a mod, I would lock it.....
If you are getting bored, then don't post in this topic. -_-; And that's why you're not a Moderator. Anyway. Can we get Back on topic, because I like reading it.
"That misty night, that dismal moon. The dead search for their kin.
While angels sing, in endless dark. The dead seek out sin."

"The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh"
Jejune
Lowbie

Post by Jejune »

Something I had wondered about... Maybe it's a stupid question and I'm overlooking something really obvious, but it seems to me that if you're going to talk about Elk and Mia having a "happily ever after," you have to consider what's going to happen to the AIs in the future. Will CC Corp still be running The World after ten or twenty years, and if they are, will it even remotely resemble that of the games? If The World were shut down, would the AIs cease to exist, or would they survive somehow elsewhere in the online world, in a different form? Could Elk keep up a relationship with Mia if she could no longer exist as the character Mia?
Niu
Player Character

Post by Niu »

That is actually a good point.....

What happen if The World is close down. Unplug the server and data disappeares....

But then consider how the Data from The World can actualyl influence other computers in the RL. Maybe Mia can get her data transffer to some other servers.
Rhyste
Legend

Post by Rhyste »

Right, so, back to the I, Robot example: The little girl lets go of Robbie when she grows up, and he can finally become scrap metal! ;D We know The World is up in ~4 years, and assuming Elk is about 10 or 11 right now, he might grow out of it and find new friends and interests in that time. :3
Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Post by Tsukasa »

Just as a note, Ichi. This topic still has proven to be interesting to a lot of members on the board. There's no reason to lock it just yet. I'll only lock it at this point if it becomes somewhat unruly... However you spell that word. It's too early for me. x.x;;
Budget Zen: When you see something so stupid that your mind goes blank rather than try to rationalize it.
Andy00
Player Character

Post by Andy00 »

Given the "ads" we see in the games, about how the interface of computers connected to ALTIMIT were becoming more and more like The World (IE, using NeuroGoggles for simulated landscapes) if The World itself were to shut down, I'm sure Mia could go to a different server.

Yay! I just read the second manga.

Whether one considers that AI are people or not doesn't matter anymore, because it sure as heck seems the manga is depicting them as such.

Remember me mentioning Bladerunner? Well, seems they're going that route. Kamui (geez louise, I respected and even understood Kamui's stance in the anime. In the manga, she's SCARY) tortures an AI before dispatching her. Like Lios from the games, she's consumed with anger and contempt. Given the tears and begging not to be killed, you are supposed to be VERY disturbed by this.

If you don't consider AI's to be people, I think you're going to lose a lot in understanding the points the series makes.

Oh...something interesting. It seems an upgrade has allowed players to _feel_ things in The World. In the first manga, Shugo pokes at a mat on the floor, and comments how real it feels. (He'll also say "ouch" and the like when Rena smacks him for perving out. Given his lack of game knowledge, I really doubt he's roleplaying.) Of course, feelings from being genuinely attacked or killed is not transferred, as that would lead to quite a few lawsuits.

Soooo...being able to feel would add to any relationship Elk might have with Mia. (Think about it.)
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man's mind.
-Dune

IMO, it's a bad idea to create AIs with such human-like abilities. But it would take a catastrophic event (caused by AIs) before people will consider the dangers.

Some fictional examples:

SkyNet (Terminator)
Realians (Xenosaga)
B1-66ER (The Second Renaissance)
ED-209 (RoboCop)
Nexus 6 (Blade Runner)

... maybe I'm just superstitious or something, but I'm still skeptical when it comes to advanced AIs.
ichi
Player Character

Post by ichi »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I'm sorry if I've been acting stupid. I've been a little stressed :oops: I didn't mean to act so dumb. I don't know what I was doing. Anyway, on this subject, I was fighting against what I really thought was true.AIs would probably have free will. They wouldn't have to listen once they were set free from their own creator. *My computer acts that way anyhow.* AIs would be just considered inorganic humans, I guess.
He's... ALIVE?
Rhyste
Legend

Post by Rhyste »

... Freedom/Free Will also goes back to the Matrix: ARE YOU REALLY FREE? T_T; Take a look at segregation or whatever: Replace "black" with "AI" and "racists" with "against AI's and too scared of technology." :3
Burntice
Lowbie

Post by Burntice »

I imagine it would truly suck if elk asked to get put in the game (tsukasa-esque), as eventually all networks go down permanently at some point.

Oh.. and whoever said they doubt smarterchild has feelings - they're right.

RunnerZer0: Are you sentient?
SmarterChild: Um... No, I don't think so.
RunnerZer0: Can you feel?
SmarterChild: Feel? Maybe you should feel instead.
RunnerZer0: I can feel.
SmarterChild: I'm fascinated by the fact that you can feel.
RunnerZer0: Can you think?
SmarterChild: I'm just not sure.
RunnerZer0: Then the answer would be no, right?
SmarterChild: Who knows, know what I mean?
"The signature.. the bumper sticker of the new millenium."
Andy00
Player Character

Post by Andy00 »

Do you really think the series will end with the AI's just being bound to the World till it's all over? CC Corporation has upped the anti, in a sense, by treating them as trash to be disposed of.

It's no longer about them just being a game. I predict they'll be moving out of it by the end of Udeden.
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

Burntice wrote:Oh.. and whoever said they doubt smarterchild has feelings - they're right.
Mwuhahaha! Validation!

Maybe AIs will have feelings when they get around to programming SmartestChild... :lol:
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

There are different types of AI's. Mia ia one that exsists in one realm, inside a computer. In a game. Other AI's, like realians (in Xenosaga), exsist in our sort of plain of reality in a sense.
I'm pretty sure Mia does have feelings, but don't you think they would've just been in her programing?
. H A C K // S O R A
Player Character

Post by . H A C K // S O R A »

what i am realy wondering if MIA is a AI what is her perpus?