Trolls

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
error
Player Character

Trolls

Post by error »

I've only been here about 1 day and I have already spotted 2 trolls? What's going on? I think trolls should only get 3 warnings, then BANage.

(Trolls are people who come onto forums and such just to annoy people. Miss-spelling and spamming are usually the way to spot one.)
[The Adventures of Dane and Chase] <- Click the linkie, I dare you.
sudra
Player Character

Post by sudra »

I too have seen a couple of people who can be considered trolls... one of which listened to nobody... From what i have heard from terra, that one has been taken care of... Bear saw to it himself...

one thing with banning people like that, is that they can easily create a new account... the only way to ban is by Username, IP and email... on dialup accounts, the ip never stays the same... and emails can be easily created without any problems... Each one having it's own workaround...
- Sudra Koder
"Those who only look forward, find death from behind." - Sudra
error
Player Character

Post by error »

Well, they should make it to where you have to put in a valid e-mail to sign up. When creating an account it sends the e-mail to the address givin, and they have to confirm it. That could help by banning the e-mail, so they would have to get a new address. Which can be a pain in the butt.

Telling trolls just to stop won't due much. Baning or just deleting the name is the next step.
sudra
Player Character

Post by sudra »

this board system does have the ability to have email confirmation... also it has the ability that only administrators can allow people to create accounts... the latter is a pain though...
- Sudra Koder
Bear
Mr. Flibble's Very Cross

Post by Bear »

We've actually only had troll problems over the past day or two, and I've been banning their accounts and e-mails as soon as I become aware of them. A valid e-mail address is required, although the requirement isn't automatic - I investigate accounts whose welcome e-mail bounces. If I have time, I'll look into requiring confirmation...

Sorry about the trouble, and thanks for the suggestion. ^_^
sudra
Player Character

Post by sudra »

to force a valid email address... you can set up user validation in the admin configuration... Enable account activation... by default it is set to none...
- Sudra Koder
Bear
Mr. Flibble's Very Cross

Post by Bear »

Aha, thanks. ^_^ It's enabled now. I wasn't sure whether phpBB had that feature built in or not.
error
Player Character

Post by error »

No problem. I also run a phpbb board and I go on a lot of others, so i'm fairly experinced. If you need some help and no one is around that can help, give me a PM.
sudra
Player Character

Post by sudra »

i am one of the few people who have actually seen this board system grow... i knew one of the 3 origional people who worked on this board around 5 years ago... The site in which i met him on is now gone though... the board progressed a lot since then... even then, i prefered it over most of the other ones...
- Sudra Koder
AirSpiritX
Eaten by the Puchiguso

Post by AirSpiritX »

Trolls are very annoying.....but you shouldn't call them that over just spelling mistakes. My typing has gotten HORRIBLE over the past few weeks, but I don't think I'm a troll(am I?).....
I like doing sigs and avatars, just ask and I will make you one or both.
sudra
Player Character

Post by sudra »

spelling isn't a major issue... look at terra... she can't spell well... i keep on fixing her spelling...
- Sudra Koder
Asmaria
Player Character

Post by Asmaria »

I think there's a difference between small spelling mistakes, and large ones. For example, the occasional mess up is one thing, but typing in such a way as 'hoW ur u t0day?' can get really annoying. And mispelling every other word and not using punctuation. Things like that make it hard to read. But I don't think you're a troll. ;)
Durhi - Retarded puchiguso
error
Player Character

Post by error »

Er, you can tell th diffrence between accidental miss-spells and not.

"haoow ar;e youo gyus ddongi!" <- troll