[Review] .hack//OUTBREAK

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Rubedo
Legend

[Review] .hack//OUTBREAK

Post by Rubedo »

I just got my PSM today, and it has a review of .hack//OUTBREAK in it. So, I'm posting it up for you guys and gals.
PSM Magazine wrote:If you consider yourself "into RPG's", then you'll already know the story behind the .hack series. You play as Kite, an ordinary kid with a penchant for online RPG's, until the day your best friend falls into a coma while playing. Concerned, Kite must now let his online avatar do the sleuthing via "The World", a wildly popular multiplayer online RPG with some serious bugs that are affecting the gamers who play it. Along the way, you become embroiled in something larger and more suspicious.

Everyone agrees that the concept is incredibly clever-that's not the issue. Instead, the question is whether or not the four-part RPG-of which Outbreak is the third installment has enough legs to retain it's freshness and immersion from game to the next. The answer? Well, yes and no. A quasi-action RPG, players control Kite as he hops from "server" to "server" in order to plumbthe depths of a series of multi-level dungeons with his rotating band of buddies. In e-mail, cruise message boards, and trade items with other NPC "gamers" playing The World. The level of difficulty in dungeons swings widly from one extreme to next, but the battles are highly rewarding, thanks to Kite's Data Drain and his party's various spells. But none of this has really changed from the first installment--you're merely doing the same thing with upgraded equipment and a larger set of cronies to choose from. The graphics, though service able, haven't really improved and the gameplay is merely arinse and repeat of earlier games in the series. So the real crux is whether or not you're willing to retread familliar territory in order to work to wards the game's eventual ending in the fourth installment. the answer is a mixed bag. Deveotees will definitely want to gobble this up pronto, while series newbies can jump right in with or wihout data flagged memory card saves from the second installment to enjoy the third-but will the journey be as worthwhile a the first, second or the upcoming fourth? Not particularly. The experience is still essential for RPG aholics, but with all of it's trimmings, .hack 3 feels and plays merely like a bridge between epxposition and ending. It still retains all the good stuff of the series, but refuses to expand or grow.
"That misty night, that dismal moon. The dead search for their kin.
While angels sing, in endless dark. The dead seek out sin."

"The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh"
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Post by thedudewhosadude »

they make the opening sound like Megaman battle network :lol:
You're only young once, but you're NEVER too old to be immature.
Nips
Player Character

Post by Nips »

What was the rating?

It seems like PSM has run out of things to say about the .hack series. They're restating the main points from previous reviews... But I can't really blame them. Since all of the games take place immediately after another, it wouldn't be realistic if there were sudden changes in gameplay during the final version of The World (speaking from a PC's POV). Or maybe it's just because the producers were lazy. :roll:

I would really appreciate some changes, nonetheless. >_>
Xebexz
Player Character

Post by Xebexz »

Nips wrote:What was the rating?

It seems like PSM has run out of things to say about the .hack series. They're restating the main points from previous reviews... But I can't really blame them. Since all of the games take place immediately after another, it wouldn't be realistic if there were sudden changes in gameplay during the final version of The World (speaking from a PC's POV). Or maybe it's just because the producers were lazy. :roll:

I would really appreciate some changes, nonetheless. >_>
You actually think they would ever do good on reviews? Gah, stupid PSM magazine never cares what they say. It's dumb, I don't bother with it anymore. I use the magazine every month as burning material for my fire of warmth. ^-^ JK.

Evil magazine, x.x;;
"Hey Mr. Wonderful oh you're so incredible, hey Mr. Wonderful, a miracle to me." --DDR, Smile .dk
YashaOokami
Legend

Post by YashaOokami »

I have a whole box of magazines,even the PSM ones.I need to get rid of them sometime >>;

But I agree,I got tired of them after a while.
"True strength comes with time..through presistent training!!"-Ouka,Vol. 2
Rubedo
Legend

Post by Rubedo »

The rating? It got 7 out of 10. But who cares what they gave it. I mean, they gave Xenosaga 7 out of 10, as well. So, their opinions don't mean much to me.

And I don't subscribe to them anymore, but for some reason they still send their magazine to me. And, my subscribtion ranout a year ago.
"That misty night, that dismal moon. The dead search for their kin.
While angels sing, in endless dark. The dead seek out sin."

"The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh"
Xebexz
Player Character

Post by Xebexz »

Rubedo wrote:The rating? It got 7 out of 10. But who cares what they gave it. I mean, they gave Xenosaga 7 out of 10, as well. So, their opinions don't mean much to me.

And I don't subscribe to them anymore, but for some reason they still send their magazine to me. And, my subscribtion ranout a year ago.
Desperation. And OMG, they gave Super Mario Sunshine a 10 out of 10. Do you know how utterly annoying that game was? I dropped it out of my window, and it didn't break, but then my dad broke our mower on it 2 days later XD. Then it broke.
"Hey Mr. Wonderful oh you're so incredible, hey Mr. Wonderful, a miracle to me." --DDR, Smile .dk
thedudewhosadude
Legend

that game was evil! I despised it! I mean really, "Mama Peach????" The only game i broke was universal studios. That was 10X worse than sunshine. I lost $50 on that game. And (sorry, but i must say this, even though i'm a zelda fan) wind waker sucked. Horribly. I'm not talking about the whole cel-shaded look, but that it was crap. Too easy. Too de-graded.
Xebexz
Player Character

Post by Xebexz »

Too I-Want-To-Compete-With-Those-Other-Games-Mommy, oh and what a stupid storyline around the whoel Zelda theme? Gah, Tetra? Ewww. Sorry, oh and that kid with the snot *shrivels up and dies*.
thedudewhosadude
Legend

the only credit i give it is that it sorta links with Soul Calibir II. And that snot kid? yeah i tried to kill him. Several times. To no avail, but i also hated that old guy who kept on running into you and forcing you to talk to him.
Rhyste
Legend

Post by Rhyste »

Nintendo makes games to please all ages and genres. People who work for magazines are typically an average of 30 or so years old, and they were like, young back then Nintendo was new, so, imo, they have some bias. Not to mention I've heard plenty of bribery rumors for all companies. :wink: Now little kid A will pick up a magazine and show mommy and mommy will buy and that's how Nintendo gets $$ and is able to release a new console every other decade, and makes more games efficiently and pleasingly once again for their more widespread group of players. >:3 Also these reviews; did the reviewer even like .hack much? .hack has a more specific group of fans, same with Xenosaga. That's how they scored less than Mario.
and god said unto cain, "wow you're pretty stupid."
Kenta
Lowbie

Post by Kenta »

You know PSM is what got me confused with the release of .hack//outbreak
SHAME ON IT .........BURNNNNNNNNNN ittttttt >__> .........*goes off to buy another issue of PSM* heh
Robby-san
Player Character

Post by Robby-san »

Is it just me, or is this really off topic? Anyway, there is no need to completely dis Nintendo, all you have to say is "i didnt like the game" end of story. Windwaker and Sunshine were geird twords kids. What ever you do don't dis Zelda! :evil: Im not saying Windwaker, the whole thing. Also Mario 64 was better than any Mario game since or before, so its okay that Sunshine wasent great. Nintendo is makeing a new Mario game any way, Mario 128.

*sighs* glad i got that of my chest. :P
Kenta
Lowbie

Post by Kenta »

I think nintendo is "ok"
but PS2 is better for one thing it has better games ;P
(hint hint games like .hack)
Robby-san
Player Character

Post by Robby-san »

I agree with you there, but i don't think Nintendo is the worst thing out there. It has history. I, a loyal Nintendo fan since the Super Nintendo, thinks they're defenetly slipping, and i hope they can pull themselves together and have good games again. :)