Regarding hotaru's gender

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Brad_Evans
Player Character

Regarding hotaru's gender

Post by Brad_Evans »

I got my analysis book with me. and I can't find anything about hotaru being a male. If anyone knows where hotaru's real gender is being discussed in the book, can you please point out where it is? coz what i noticed is that hotaru' real world gender is female there nn;;; thx in advance
Pagyuu~ desunoh?
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

I do beleive she's female... she seems to be a bit too innocent to be a boy, & since she's apparently American, I really doubt she's an innocent little boy. (going by boys are into violence, rough-housing, ect.; not to be mean to the Americans.)
I cast FAIL on those who mock my old signature.
CRtwenty
Legend

Post by CRtwenty »

It may be due to somebody misreading what the author says in the second manga, where he states that Hotaru is the female version of Elk and Tsukasa's avatars.

I can't remember where the rumour started that Hotaru is actually a guy though. The only gender switched character in the series is Tsukasa...
"Hark he of Fair eyes, I am CRtwenty of the Azure Keyboard!"
Duskino
Legend

Post by Duskino »

It was either Junko or Kite (or somebody else, I could be wrong) who said that.

But I think Hotaru's a female. There is no flippin' doubt in my mind that Hotaru is female.

Heh, somebody out there thought that even Hotaru's PC was male. Really... wtf.
Hirrayami
Lowbie

Post by Hirrayami »

CRtwenty wrote: The only gender switched character in the series is Tsukasa...
I think Helba's user is also a male... I so heard it that once in one of the .hack//sign episode before the one Helba appears, I think is when Bear spoke of her the first time.
the world of .hack is not just only a game...

Visit my Kite shrine at:
http://www.geocities.com/othni_g_x_dbzg ... shrine.htm
(the shrine website is completly finish, please visit)
CRtwenty
Legend

Post by CRtwenty »

Bear thought Helba was a he because you don't usually hear of Female Hackers... Helba is a female, the woman dancing in the intro to //SIGN has been verified as Helba's real life self.
Duskino
Legend

Post by Duskino »

CRtwenty wrote: the woman dancing in the intro to //SIGN has been verified as Helba's real life self.
Eh? Since when?

I still think it's a random dancing lady c_c; To me, Helba's RL self is an enigma in it all.

^^; I don't see -how- or -why- the random dancing lady would be Helba...
CRtwenty
Legend

Post by CRtwenty »

I'm pretty sure that Piroshi, or one of the other leaders in the project verified it. And there's also the fact that she transforms into Helba in the opening to //GIFT...

I can't remember for sure though, I think Kima on the GameFAQs boards knows the answer though. You should ask him.
Hirrayami
Lowbie

Post by Hirrayami »

So Helba uh?

I thought she was a guy user, oh well I learn somethign new today yay!
the world of .hack is not just only a game...

Visit my Kite shrine at:
http://www.geocities.com/othni_g_x_dbzg ... shrine.htm
(the shrine website is completly finish, please visit)
Jejune
Lowbie

Post by Jejune »

The thing about Hotaru being a guy is from the Udeden drama that came with the Integration set. In that, Hotaru is a boy, albeit a pretty one.

I don't think it's supposed to be canon, though - drama albums and things like that generally aren't meant to be taken too seriously, at least in my experience.
Junko
Player Character

Post by Junko »

I don't remember saying anything about this before, but my informationdoes say that both PC and real HOTARU are just really pretty males... I can vouch that 100% of the information on This site. This site explains how although the PC looks feminine, it's an edited elk/tsukasa-type male wavemaster, making it technically male. Argue all you want, this site is bulletproof. Whether or not you consider the drama cannonical or not should probably be decided after you hear it, anyways... It's possible it ties into the manga more than the anime, or vice versa...
Last edited by Junko on Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
キー・オブ・ザ・トワイライトってなに?
YashaOokami
Legend

Post by YashaOokami »

As stated before.. The World is full of many horrible and disturbing things
-_-;

I also kinda wish I had a translator for that site,not an engish translator but something to get rid of those weird symbols and stuff >>;
"True strength comes with time..through presistent training!!"-Ouka,Vol. 2
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

You realize that site is not official... so it isn't bullet proof.
Changes in the anime/manga & the drama may have been made, but one thing is for sure.. during DUSK, they refer to Hotaru as "kanojo." Meaning "She".
I cast FAIL on those who mock my old signature.
Junko
Player Character

Post by Junko »

YashaOokami wrote:As stated before.. The World is full of many horrible and disturbing things
-_-;

I also kinda wish I had a translator for that site,not an engish translator but something to get rid of those weird symbols and stuff >>;
Umm, most browsers support it... Try changing page encoding... ^^;;;
Elk_capsule_figure wrote:You realize that site is not official... so it isn't bullet proof.
It's not official, but that doesn't logically mean it can't be bulletproofly cannonical... I have observed it for some time and it ONLY enters information from direct sources, the furthest from cannonical being the Udeden anime, and that is properly marked as such. I.e., this site takes from entirely primary material and doesn't use the encyclopedia, etc.
Elk_capsule_figure wrote:Changes in the anime/manga & the drama may have been made, but one thing is for sure.. during DUSK, they refer to Hotaru as "kanojo." Meaning "She".
"DUSK" being the anime or the manga, and where? Also, by who? Being "easily mistaken for a girl" doesn't exactly mean you'll be called "he". I'm asking specifically where since pronouns aren't used as much in Japanese as they are in English and this might be hard to find if I wanna see... ^^;
キー・オブ・ザ・トワイライトってなに?
Xhacker
Legend

Post by Xhacker »

Well...you can just make life a bit easier and refer to Hotaru as an "it".
(sorry. My mom told me not to eat too much of this baloney.)