Root Town Names!

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Root Town Names!

Post by Tsukasa »

Oh! Random note. The servers' root town names are apparently Gaelic. o.o A certain British friend pointed it out to me recently.

Here's their spellings in the US version:

Delta Server - Mac Anu ; meaning 'the son of a goddess'
Theta Server - Dun Loireag ; 'the weaver guardian'
Lambda Server - Carmina Gadelica ; 'the song of Gael'
Sigma Server - Fort Ouph ; 'Fort of Elves'
Omega Server - Lia Fail ; 'stone of destiny'
Rune Grey
Player Character

Post by Rune Grey »

Hmmm - which of these do we get to see during the series? I know that Mac Anu and Dun Loireag are ones that we most commonly see, but do any of the toher ones pop up as time goes on?
Cha.

~Perpetual Thorn of Logic and Reason~
Rhyste
Legend

Post by Rhyste »

The //SIGN characters go to Calmine Gaderica. :P It's the Night-time city. :D

And as for, "during the series," do you mean during the .hack games, or during .hack//SIGN?
and god said unto cain, "wow you're pretty stupid."
Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Post by Tsukasa »

Well... I think Carmina Gadelica is the highest level any of the chars would visit during the time period of SIGN. o.o Take in mind, their levels get increasingly more difficult as you go up.
Rune Grey
Player Character

Post by Rune Grey »

Hmmm. What episode was Carmina Gadelica in? I can't seem to remember it.

And it is odd how you seem to go up in level's so fast in the games (or at least in the demo) and yet people seem to get them so slowly in the series. I mean, Balmung and Orca are around level 50 or so, IIRC, and that doesn't take that long to get to, knowing how obsessive some people are.
Cha.

Gearhead
Player Character

Post by Gearhead »

It seems that pretty much any MMORPG has a system that can be exploited to accelerate the advancement of a character, up to a point anyway.
~ Resident Voodoo Techie ~
Rune Grey
Player Character

Post by Rune Grey »

*nods sagely* Hell Cow Level runs - ah how I remember them well.

...given that was the ONLY way I could get levels before I stopped playing Diablo 2...

But I'm curious how its handled in .hack. Also, what prevents you from just obessively playing the first game until you hit level 99 or somesuch?
Cha.

Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Post by Tsukasa »

Kite knows the levels of the servers better than I do, but... Episode 10- the area where Bear and Tsukasa met up at. That's in Carmina Gadelica (the market place is part of the Root Town). Also the dungeon that Mimiru and Nijuu went through in ep 7 was on the Lambda server as well.

What prevents you? Umm... I dunno. It took almost 9 or so hours to get to level 10? n.n;;;

I think Delta Server is levels 1-20, Theta is 20-40. or someth. It would make sense that the rest of the game goes in such increments afterwards.
Rhyste
Legend

Post by Rhyste »

Delta 1-20, Theta 21-30, Lamda 31-50, Sigma 51-70... Omega... I assume 71-90.

Anyway... as for Balmung & Orca... I had a feeling they'd make them lower leveled than they actually seem; it always happens. @_@; IT's like, the rule of, "Trying to Even Things Out."
Sora
Shaka Shaka Maraca

Post by Sora »

Well, Kite says that past a certain level, it's very very difficult to level per game. It's not an actual cap, but it's pretty much the line at which you should stop leveling and just beat it :P
Rhyste
Legend

Post by Rhyste »

Yeah. XD Since after the highest level dungeon +5 more levels... 1 EXP PER ENEMY AND _ONLY_ 1000 EXP POINTS TO THE NEXT LEVEL! YAY! :roll:
Jetfire99
Player Character

Post by Jetfire99 »

Interesting and I wonder if there are any other Gaelic or Celtic refs in .hack. Should be interesting to see if anyone can find more... and I got a feeling there are.
As the Rain falls...
I close my eyes...
And dream of rings...
spinning in the darkness....

-An unknown Hunter
Gearhead
Player Character

Post by Gearhead »

Just exactly like most other MMORPGs.. there is a point when you simply have to move on to somewhere new in order to gain more levels, because fighting monsters under your own level is counterproductive.
~ Resident Voodoo Techie ~
Sora
Shaka Shaka Maraca

Post by Sora »

Interesting and I wonder if there are any other Gaelic or Celtic refs in .hack. Should be interesting to see if anyone can find more... and I got a feeling there are.
An obvious one is the use of runes o_o Tsukasa is a 'Wave Master', but it's the same as a 'Rune Master', that is, using runes for power o_o those symbols in the beginning of .hack//SIGN (The opening) are symbols of elemental power. They're Runes o.o

The Celts used Runes as both language and it was also considered to have power, so that's an obvious reference o.o

I think, however, this is all in the theme of the game, the 'story' of The World. ^^
SaberWolf
Player Character

Post by SaberWolf »

Hrrrmm. Good point. I've only played regular RPG's since my computer is kinda old, but there are alot of times when it gets boring to just keep on trying to level up, where you've beat all the levels and the only thing you haven't done is go and defeat the boss or whatever. THe only game I've seen so far that looks worth my time (and alot of it from the reports I've heard) is Elder Scrolls Morowind. Unfortunatly, until I can get a job, I won't be able to buy myself a decent gaming machine *waaah!* *sob*.

(Oh, and I just started watching the series on Cartoon Network, so I'm pretty naive about the details. But the Gailic reference thing could be easy. I bet that if I had the Perfect Collection of it on DVD my friend could find all of 'em. She's a nut about ancient languages and is quite fluent in it. You should here her swear!)
runs wit scissors