What if they actually made THE WORLD for the PC

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Spike Spiegal
Player Character

Re: What if they actually made THE WORLD for the PC

Post by Spike Spiegal »

o.o
Guynietoren
Player Character

Post by Guynietoren »

Yeah, I've seen something like that before. They use various nodes that are worn in key places, while an external device reads in their position.

I was thinking that a body suit might work in the same sort of way that they've made prosthetic limbs work(or in the process), by reading the electricity that goes through your muscles when you use them. I don't know if they do it or not already.

Anyways, having a console controller that gave off various smells and could change it's own temperature would take a while getting used to. But it may also make the thing too heavy or bulky.
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

Jetfire99 wrote
However the VR Goggles or at least ones like it do already exist for real
there are actual headset goggles manufactured for use with the ps2, but i'm afraid they come with a hefty pricetag of around $400 US. also, i believe they're only for use with one game, which is a flight simulator. you still use the controller to fly the plane, but when you rotate your head you can look sideways or back and see all around, while continuing to fly in one direction. it sounds cool to me. :D

p.s. go to http://www.gizmo.com.au/pics/1276_10.jpg for a nice pic of some ps2 goggles, but i don't think they're the motion-tracking ones i was talking about.
Last edited by Invisible Egg! on Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
sudra
Player Character

Post by sudra »

The change in temp wouldn't be that bad of an idea, but there is a potential for burns no matter how low the temp is supposed to be, it can easily get out of hand... There are safeguards that can be put on to prevent this easily, but then there are people who will bypass them and attempt to sue the makers... seen that happen a couple times...
- Sudra Koder
"Those who only look forward, find death from behind." - Sudra
Count Fenring
Player Character

Post by Count Fenring »

wow, those are cool. could u still use them even just to play without the motion sensors?
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

i'm sure that you could. i think they just take the image that would be on your television, and project on 2 seperate little screens, one for each eye. so you could use it to watch DVDs too, if you felt like it. :wink:
Count Fenring
Player Character

Post by Count Fenring »

sh!t thats nice, where could i get a pair?
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

well, i was really trying to find the motion tracking headset, but go to http://www.gizmo.com.au/public/news/new ... cleid=1276 to see what i found. if anybody finds a link for the goggles i'm looking for, could they post it, please? :roll:
Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Post by Tsukasa »

Guynietoren wrote:Yeah, I've seen something like that before. They use various nodes that are worn in key places, while an external device reads in their position.

I was thinking that a body suit might work in the same sort of way that they've made prosthetic limbs work(or in the process), by reading the electricity that goes through your muscles when you use them. I don't know if they do it or not already.

Anyways, having a console controller that gave off various smells and could change it's own temperature would take a while getting used to. But it may also make the thing too heavy or bulky.
Going into that level is starting to make me think of the Otherland books by Tad Williams. @.@;;; That honestly scares me, in the end, with the complexity of the environments in that. While it would be neat, I don't want us to get to that level for various reasons. o.o
Budget Zen: When you see something so stupid that your mind goes blank rather than try to rationalize it.
sudra
Player Character

Post by sudra »

There was a link to the one i think you were looking for in an old post...
- Sudra Koder
"Those who only look forward, find death from behind." - Sudra
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

thanks Sudra! that's the one! digging a little deeper i found a nice picture of it (the PUD-J5A) here: http://www.sony.co.jp/SonyInfo/News/Pre ... 09/02-042/

i just wish i could read the site...

and try here: http://www.kzm.info.gifu-u.ac.jp/~02kano/pud-j5a/
for some really great pics of the PUD-J5A. :D

apparently it's for use with the game Energy Airforce from Taito.
Guynietoren
Player Character

Post by Guynietoren »

That honestly scares me, in the end, with the complexity of the environments in that.
A scary thought indeed. Have you ever played Syndicate? The basic plot is in the future where everyone has an implant in the back of their neck. It feeds input to the brain, making everyone see sunshine and hear birds chirping when it's really dark and raining out. Psychosis and loss of free will is quite a problem, not quite sure if that's constitutional or not.
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

i'm sorry if anyone thinks i'm ranting about the headset topic too much. i just realized there was another thread for that already. :shock:
nevertheless, i think it's still relevant to this thread, which seems to be a more popular one anyway.

my theory on the headset simulating 3D boils down to this:
the images we see while playing video games are based on a pre-determined perspective, or 'camera'. if the characters in the game are able to move in three dimensions, while the camera follows them, then what we need are games that support the concept of two 'cameras', one for each eye. this is basically referred to as parallax (An apparent change in the direction of an object, caused by a change in observational position that provides a new line of sight) viewing, and it's how those of us with two eyes judge distance and depth in the real world. to summarize, projecting two seperate images (of slightly different angles) onto seperate screens for each eye results in the wonderful simulation of a three-dimensional World. 8)

p.s. remember those ViewMaster toys with the changeable picture discs, and the lever that advances to the next scene? those were 3D, and are a simple example of what i'm talking about.
Mimirufan#1
Lowbie

Post by Mimirufan#1 »

I posted this on another site and they were real jerks. they crticized me humiliated me and said that they would go around burnig things and pilladging towns.
"TSUKASAAAAAA!!!!!!, Lets play red light green light,
1, 2, 3
RED LIGHT"SORA
. H A C K // S O R A
Player Character

Post by . H A C K // S O R A »

i remember someone was woring on a conversion of Neverwinter nights into the .hack universe, kyo the cat i beleave, but i lost contact with him after Subaru discarded the field known as THE WORLD BBS due to bandwith issues.