Japanese vs. American voice actors

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.

Japanese or English or Neither

Japanese Actors are Awesome!
65%
English Actors are the Greatest!
21%
I could definitely do better myself
15%

Total votes: 48

Black Lotus
Player Character

Japanese vs. American voice actors

Post by Black Lotus »

I am probably biased because i watched the whole series in japanese so I want some other peoples opinions. Which version do you think sounds better, overall? If you dont like either of them, say so. Please give individual character opinions too if you want
P.S. I broke 100!
Kenshin is awesome!
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

I'm really going with Japanese. They're the originals.. they deffinetly have to do more work bringing the character to life. Alot of American voice actors just... say things.. & half the time they don't even have emotion while saying it. Mynd you, FLCL was done well. But usually when I hear some american voice actor scream in Anime, it sounds as if they're just saying "ahhhh" instead of "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"
Atomsk
Lowbie

Post by Atomsk »

I notice that too alot. Most of the US actors are very bland, or very bad in voice acting, it sounds like they're purposely trying to sound BORING. Seriously, I mentioned to before that after hearing the Japanese voices in the game .hack//infection, and then switching to the voices in English I feel as though my ears are bleeding, they just sound sooooooo horrible. I feel like I could fart the role better then they could speak it.

So obviously, I picked Japanese voices.
. H A C K // S O R A
Player Character

Post by . H A C K // S O R A »

there are few excxptions. the US voice for Excell 0.O is it natrual to talk like that?
Furik
Player Character

Post by Furik »

Although Mimiru's voice is horrible and the fact that they call Ginkan 'Silver Knight', the Eng. cast is pretty good.
But I will always prefer the Japanese cast over any Eng. dialogue to any anime.
Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Post by Tsukasa »

. H A C K // S O R A wrote:there are few excxptions. the US voice for Excell 0.O is it natrual to talk like that?
Her VA caused herself to have serious voice damage from doing the part that she did. Did you hear about that? I think in vol 3 they had to get a new VA for Excel.
Budget Zen: When you see something so stupid that your mind goes blank rather than try to rationalize it.
Furik
Player Character

Post by Furik »

Tsukasa wrote:
. H A C K // S O R A wrote:there are few excxptions. the US voice for Excell 0.O is it natrual to talk like that?
Her VA caused herself to have serious voice damage from doing the part that she did. Did you hear about that? I think in vol 3 they had to get a new VA for Excel.
Yeah, Vol. 3 was the new voice actor's first premier.
Pipian
Player Character

Post by Pipian »

Which annoyed some people as they believed that she would get better and that they would be willing to wait for more DVDs.
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

She put damage to her throat... she was working it too hard & too fast. She like... had a really bad case of laringeitis.
Pipian
Player Character

Post by Pipian »

I haven't actually heard Excel's English VA actually...

I always wondered why anime studios can't be more selective and try to find people who match the Japanese voices more (perhaps there aren't enough people who go into the field of voice acting to be able to make good matches?)
YamiZero
Lowbie

Post by YamiZero »

I perfer Japanese with subtitles over English dubbed. Dubbing is on occasion, done horribly and the dialouge is normally changed as well. Watching with subtitles may not be the best way to understand the characters, but it gives me a more natural feel than watching in English dubbed.

However, there are a few exceptions to the rules, certain animes have done exceptional jobs of dubbing, Inu Yasha is one. But when a dubbing is bad, it is :evil:.
. H A C K // S O R A
Player Character

Post by . H A C K // S O R A »

i actually like the dub voices of most of inu yasha. heck the only one who i think could have improved is kagomi. and maby maroku.
ara
Player Character

Post by ara »

Some dubbed animes aren't that bad but the one's in .hack//Infection are just plain annoying. If you watch .hack//SIGN Tsukasa's english voice actor is the same as Elk's english voice actor. So I would stick with the japanese voice actors.
MahoTheNeko
Player Character

Post by MahoTheNeko »

hehehe... How are the English speackers? :P
No, no , no, the problem isnt in the voice of the USA actors, the problem is

a) you like better the original voices, the characters are maked for that voices
b)you like better the voices of other languages ( i fin cool all the voices on English )
c)most of us have seen the entire serie in Japanese with subs on english
Que sucede aquí?
veo todo al revéz , donde esta el suelo y cual es la diferencia entre este y el cielo?
Donde acabara esta agonia sicópata? seguro en la oscuridad, como siempre
Atomsk
Lowbie

Post by Atomsk »

Maho, Thats not really true in all cases. Most of the time people watch Anime for the first time, end up seeing it Dubbed cause they don't like Subtitles, and end up hating it because the voices are so horrible.

That was me when I was first introduced to anime some years ago. My friend showed me Anime that was Dubbed, It was some of the most horrible shit I've ever heard, I can't even remember the name of it because I'm assuming I blocked it out 'cause it was so horrible.

Then the next night, he showed me Nadesico, which... I actually loved Dubbed, and now I can't watch it subbed, samething with Macross Plus.

Other then that, I'm sure he showed me several other anime that he had that was subbed, and I took a liking to it right away. Ever since I always look for Subbed Anime before Dubbed Anime. Not because I prefer it more then dubbed(which I do really.) But because The Dubbed Versions of stuff are sooooooo bad.