learning Japanese subconciously with Hack Sign

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Amplimax

learning Japanese subconciously with Hack Sign

Post by Amplimax »

That's right folks. Like every other otaku fan-boy/whatever out there, I too want to learn japanese! (big surprise)...but I wonder, have I gone a little more extreme (read: psychoticly obsessed) then some of you out there?

I've done everything. Bought audio tapes, dictionaries, kana and kanji writing lesson plans, even thinking about hiring a tutor who's a native speaker of japanese from one of the local colleges....and yes, I even listen to Hack Sign in my sleep.

I heard a rumor that if you listen to a language in your sleep, it helps you dream in that language, and eventually learn the language (if not atleast recognize words easier). So far I can't say whether or not it's making a difference, as I listen to Hack Sign (and other anime) constantly while I'm awake, so I can't attribute my increased recognition to either one, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this rumor? Is there any basis in it? Strangly enough, it IS helping me sleep better (I'm a chronic insomniac -- why do you think I'm typing this at 4 am? ^_^). And besides It's just fun to listen to. I've been doing this for about a week now. Thinking about adding more Anime (Lain, Evangelion, etc) into my sleep-schedule; I've only got about 5 hours of HackSign, and I tend to sleep 10-12.

Wasn't there a Simpsons episode where homer learned French or something this way? I don't remember. I'm pretty sure that's not where I first heard of this idea, though. Have there been any studies done for it? (Some friends told me there had, but I'm not sure.)
Last edited by Amplimax on Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bow down before the hampster god, YAMMEE!
Sora
Shaka Shaka Maraca

Post by Sora »

Well, the best I can say is trying to take a class and keep studying those books, or find a tutor, or just go for total immersion somehow >.o

I wouldn't recommend learning your Japanese straight from anime, however.. it doesn't go over that well in conversations with a Japanese person, I've found, because it's generally too informal and not what a gaijin should be speaking. It's very strange >.o;

But I wish you the best of luck! o.o since I've been out of my class since going to college, I've fallen behind and forgotten a lot of the finer points of grammar, but I'm doing the best I can without resources n_n;

Ganbatte ne~!

And.. Youkoso! ^o^
Myaru
Lowbie

Post by Myaru »

I've heard of that method too, but... I think it's just a myth. ^.^

It's very possible to learn vocaulary from anime, though. I've picked up words and terms over the years that they don't really teach in class, and Sora is right - most of them are probably unsuitable unless you're talking with friends. But it's good practice. They key to learning any language is a lot of practice and exposure.

Damn kanji. *mutters*

Good luck!
Amber Michelle
The fallen angels said to Enoch, "O man of God! Pray for us to the Lord," and he answered: "Who am I, a mortal man, that I should pray for angels?
Asmaria
Player Character

Post by Asmaria »

I actually practice by watching episodes in Japanese without the subtitles, before I watch an episode subbed. That way, I can see what I do pick up from what I learned in class. Also, trying to keep up at the speed of conversation is good practice. Thats what Makita Sensei does for us in class, listening to a story, then getting quized on it. .hack//SIGN definitely helped me pick up a few things here and there, but I can't say anime has taught me Japanese. It just helps, a -lot-. n_n
Durhi - Retarded puchiguso
Rhyste
Legend

Post by Rhyste »

... half of my German comes from Rammstein... it's possible. :P
and god said unto cain, "wow you're pretty stupid."
Rune Grey
Player Character

Post by Rune Grey »

While it might be good for practice, its not good for actually learning - casual japanese butchers grammer and syntax like nothing else. Its like, say, trying to learn english from hip hop music. Just... don't. ^^;; Its not a good thing.
Cha.

~Perpetual Thorn of Logic and Reason~
Pipian
Player Character

Post by Pipian »

Asmaria wrote:Thats what Makita Sensei does for us in class, listening to a story, then getting quized on it.
Would this be the same Makita sensei I'm thinking of in the DFW area?
Asmaria
Player Character

Post by Asmaria »

There's only one that I know of. :) She teaches highschool, but also at the Dallas Japanese Association.
Durhi - Retarded puchiguso
Megami Subaru
Lowbie

learning japanese

Post by Megami Subaru »

I'm pretty sure its a fact that most of the people enrolled in Japanese classes are in some way shape or form watched anime, but there are some things that a person cannot learn from television.

Grammer structure is the one thing that is nearly impossible to grasp if you just watch TV. Particles and verbs he sliced and diced in infromal speech.

Songs are terrible as well. The poem format and understood parts of speech are icky icky when trying to translate.

I will say one thing that anime is good for baisic vocabulary, and pronunciation (and awesome stories) but it is not an insight into the real world of language.

Good luck
zettai makenai!
Megami Subaru
Lowbie

Post by Megami Subaru »

speaking of grammar..... look at mine ^_^
zettai makenai!
SaberWolf
Player Character

Post by SaberWolf »

Like alot of others have already said, you shouldn't try to learn Japanese from anime. Sure, it can be helpful to familiarize yourself with the language. What you should do first, is take a really good class in it. then, continue what you're already doing: trying to expose yourself to as much Japanese media as possible.
runs wit scissors
Pipian
Player Character

Post by Pipian »

Asmaria wrote:There's only one that I know of. :) She teaches highschool, but also at the Dallas Japanese Association.
Also at Brookhaven apparently.
Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Post by Tsukasa »

And for the Carrolton school district. She teaches at RL Turner.
Budget Zen: When you see something so stupid that your mind goes blank rather than try to rationalize it.
Pipian
Player Character

Post by Pipian »

See, I knew she taught at a high school. She gets around...
AirSpiritX
Eaten by the Puchiguso

Post by AirSpiritX »

lol....I already know Japanese(one would hope so, seeing as how that's my native country o.o) but before any of you Gaijin start really thinking baout learning Japanese, chec this site out...it is HILARIOUS.....http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~thoureau/japanese.html
I like doing sigs and avatars, just ask and I will make you one or both.