Us Poor Gaijin

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
Amplimax

Us Poor Gaijin

Post by Amplimax »

I've heard alot of rumors lately about how most Japanese people regaurd foreigners, and honestly its not exactly encouraging, so I'm posting this to ask...is there any basis?

I love Japanese culture, I find the language fascination, and 2 or more times a week I eat at a sushi bar, where the chef and waiter recognize me and know my typical starting platter. I hope to one day move to Japan, or atleast visit it for an extended period of time. But, unfortunately I'm a Gaijin.

And from what I've heard, these passions for Japanese culture make me a prime target for ridicule. I keep hearing that Japanese people don't like Gaijin, and hate them even more when they try to 'become Japanese'. Well, as someone who has alot of respect for the Japanese and their culture, this is very dissappointing for me, and a little bit of a hard pill to swallow. I have no illusion that I could ever "become Japanese", nor do I want to, but if I ever do visit Japan, am I going to be met with resentment?

So, just to clear up the confusion, how does the average Japanese person feel about Gaijin? Is Gaijin generally a NEGATIVE reference?
Bow down before the hampster god, YAMMEE!
LimeyBrit
Lowbie

Post by LimeyBrit »

Well, as might be gathered from my username, I'm not Japanese, but I'm going throw in an opinion as someone who is a gaijin to both Japan & the USA...

The Japanese that I've periodically worked with & those I met when I travelled to Japan last year, were pretty much all extremely friendly, especially so when I attempted to inflict my rather grotty Japanese skills upon them! I actually felt rather surprised at how comfortable I felt being around the locals most of the time. Now, there will be some situations where you'll possibly feel less than welcome - for example some of the el-cheapo 'business mans' hotels in Tokyo appeared to dislike dealing with foreigners, I think largely because they aren't setup to handle non-Japanese speaking folks & thus they considered them all troublesome.

The thing is, when you visit another place/culture, you will normally be in the position of being an outsider & its just not possible to slip right in unnoticed - there will be times when you'll definately stand out. And yes, sometimes you'll be prejudged/rejected, but many other times you'll be welcomed *because* you're different.
Amplimax

Post by Amplimax »

Ya, I totally agree about the whole "cultural differences" thing, but it's exetremely reassuring to hear that the people you interacted with were friendly!
Bow down before the hampster god, YAMMEE!
Myaru
Lowbie

Post by Myaru »

I've never been to Japan - like you, I simply find the language and culture fascinating, and I'm changing my major because of it. So I can't give you much of a perspective on their side of the story. But! Japanese people aren't better or worse than the rest of us. It's good to respect their culture, but don't let it blind you to the reality of the people themselves: they're human. They have their fair share of prejudices and virtues just like everyone else, no matter how wonderful and interesting their culture is.

I've heard it both ways, personally. The only assurance I can draw from the experiences of others is... regardless of what they think of me over there, they'll always be polite about it. ^^ I guess that's all a person can ask for.

Ja.
Amber Michelle
The fallen angels said to Enoch, "O man of God! Pray for us to the Lord," and he answered: "Who am I, a mortal man, that I should pray for angels?
AirSpiritX
Eaten by the Puchiguso

Post by AirSpiritX »

Depends on wher you go......inbig cities, like Tokyo, you'll be treated like you would in NYC or LA over here. But if you go to te smaller houses out in te countryside, they might be nice to you....or they'll hate you. Help any? :)
I like doing sigs and avatars, just ask and I will make you one or both.
Megami Subaru
Lowbie

Post by Megami Subaru »

I also must put me 2 or 3 cents in here as well.

My experience with Japanese has been varied, but I have yet to visit Japan. I will have to say that most of the Japanese people I have interacted with here have been very nice, but one thing you have to understand is that if they are here in the US, chances are the way we like the Japanese culture is the way they like America. So let's just say..... try not to scare them off with your knowledge of Japanese culture.

And never say anata.... always ask a name... but give yours first.... bleh bleh
zettai makenai!