.hack//ROOTS Episode Summaries (Indefinite Hiatus)

.hack//G.U. discussion. No spoilers!
thedudewhosadude
Legend

.hack//ROOTS Episode Summaries (Indefinite Hiatus)

Post by thedudewhosadude »

That's right, today (4/5/06) the first episode of .hack//ROOTS aired in Japan. .hack//ROOTS is a prequel to .hack//G.U. Vol.1, and is 26 episodes. I have a feeling that it will be released in America AFTER the first game, though. As of right now, I'm...ahem, OBTAINING the episode, so I'll post screencaps and a summary later!

EDIT: As the title implies, I'm no longer doing summaries. I also have deleted all images from my summaries. The DVDs have now begun to be released, so please purchase them to support the franchise!
Last edited by thedudewhosadude on Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:11 am, edited 9 times in total.
You're only young once, but you're NEVER too old to be immature.
you know...cheese soup
Lowbie

Post by you know...cheese soup »

The Japanese get lucky again...I can't think of much to say because my eyeballs feel like they're melting out of my head [yargh], but I'm looking forward to the summary and screencaps!
Xeno
Player Character

Post by Xeno »

sweet, I'll have to check back later for the review and caps. I'm really looking forward to what this new wave of .hack stuff has to offer.
Lycoris: What is the name of your spear?
Alberio: It is the Divine Spear of Wotan.
Lycoris: It is a Spear of God.
Alberio: That's right.
kiruku

Post by kiruku »

:shock: :D r u posting the review soon??i must know!!!!WILL YOU BE POSTING ANY PICS!!!!!!!!!!
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Sorry that it took me so long to pull all this together!

For starters, the theme song! The actual theme song, Crazy-go-Round, wasn't played for this episode. As of right now, I do not have permission to post the mp3s I made of the themes, so you'll just have to wait until it comes out in America :P

Right, now, on to the summary! Thanks to Photobucket, I can tell the episode's story based on the screen caps. Since I'm very thorough with what I do (even if I let it "sit" for a while COUGH.hack//AI BUSTER 2COUGH) I have 92 screen caps for this episode. PLEASE NOTE: I know VERY VERY VERY little Japanese. As a result, I am only able to INFER about what I think is happening. It isn't too hard to pick out though, with the video and all though. So, these pictures are CRUCIAL to the episode! As with everything I seem to do, please note that episode spoilers are contained within! Rather than post all the images at once directly into my post (I think the mods would kill me) I'll link to them when the proper time comes up.

The episode starts without a theme song. We see what can be best described as a portal of data.
The camera is slowly panning up, but then two blobs appear, with what appears to be a similar texture to "barbell-monster" from .hack//SIGN.
Before we can see what's at the end of the portal, the two combine, and we see a slash appear. Haseo cries out in pain, apparently dead.
We can hear two voices in the distance, a male and a female. Apparently, they were the ones who PKd Haseo. We see a rather familiar shot of Haseo and then the title card is shown.

Episode 1 - Welcome to "The World"

We now see Ovan leading Haseo out of a dungeon.
He talks to Haseo about "The World" and one kind of inhabitant: the PK. Haseo is unsure of what a PK is, but Ovan clears things up for Haseo. Ovan also encourages Haseo to get better; he says that Haseo has "potential." Outside we are introduced to one of the changes made to "The World": the gates have now been updated.

At the gate Ovan introduces himself to Haseo, and Haseo does the same. The camera zooms out, and we see the area they are in. Ovan talks to Haseo, telling him that "The World" is a game, played different ways by different people. He then gates out, leaving Haseo without answering a question. As the camera zooms out on Haseo, we see our first glimpse of Firo, floating in the air, watching Haseo from far away. He appears to be a variation of a Tanuki. Haseo gates out, and Firo walks away (on air).

We are then taken to a forest dungeon, where we see Shino with Tabby. Apparently, Tabby wants the chest item (a pair of cat gloves) very badly, and Shino lets her have them. Shino gets a message (indicated by a sound effect, and a pause from the character) and Shino decides to take her leave. Shino tells Tabby briefly about the guild she's in, the Twilight Brigade, and we are left with Tabby clutching her Cat Gloves.

Next we are taken to a very strange area, which reminds me greatly of Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground.
There also appear to be Pyreflies (FFX) floating around the area. We see Ovan standing on the edge of a walkway, when Shino gates in. They talk for a while, mentioning recent events. Apparently, Ovan and Shino are recruiting for the Twilight Bridage, and they decide to switch possible members.

Now we see a rather elegant hide-out, surrounded with treasure chests. In the middle sits Naobi, on a throne of sorts.
Ender is leaning on a chest to his left. Hyouoku walks in and talks to Naobi. Apparently, they (TaN, the guild) are monitoring the actions of the Twilight Brigade very closely. Ender explains that Ovan is the guild master of the Twilight Brigade. They talk some more, before Naobi mentions Haseo, the new player. Ender and Hyouoku leave. During this conversation, we're also told that Haseo's actual class is "multi-weapon," which, although it can use pretty much every weapon, is thought to be very weak.

We see a root town, possibly the Delta server. Something about the way it looks seems to feel very...liminality-ish to me. The whole concept of liminality was the separation, and now it seems like that line's been breached, and more of the "outside" has made it to the inside. That, or they just wanted to make the city look more industrial.

Anyway, in this root town, Haseo is leaning over a bridge. He overhears two female characters talking about stealing a staff from one of two male characters. The two other male characters follow them, saying that they can take them. Haseo hears someone talk to him, and turns to see Firo floating next to him.
Firo talks about Ovan, and then fades out. Haseo turns to leave, and Firo appears again. Apparently, Phyllo's cat pulled out the cord. Then Phyllo offers to tell Haseo something.

EYECATCH GET!

We are now in an alleyway. Firo asks Haseo to trade member addresses with him, since whisper chat only works with parties, and mentions Ovan again. Haseo seems to be slightly uninterested by what he's saying.
Something is said about guilds, which Haseo doesn't seem to understand. I could SWEAR something is said about Atoli, but Haseo doesn't know about her until //G.U. Eventually, Haseo is about to leave Firo, but then Firo mentions Ovan again, and Haseo's interest is caught. However, everyone seems to like to leave people with unanswered questions, so Firo leaves.

We are taken to Shino's hideout, where we see a little...something in the middle of the room. It looks like a cross between a grunty and Hare from Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu. I assume it to be a new grunty, maybe. Shino is in the corner of the room, attending to a tree with fruit with faces. I assume that they are Grunty-food, but they don't say their name. A strange man, Kousaka, enters the room, punting the grunty into a barrel. The grunty yells at Kousaka.
Personally, I think that the Grunty sounds like Mistral. It adds -naru to everything it says, so that chances that it's a Grunty are rather high, I think. Kousaka asks if Shino knows where Ovan is. She doesn't. They talk for a while, about the possible new members.

Now we see Haseo fighting what can be best described as a purple carrot turned into a giant monster. He is in an area that looks like the bath house from Spirited Away. After defeating the monster, he levels up, and runs ahead. He sees Ender sitting, waiting for him. Haseo at first thinks she is a NPC, but then she gets up and mentions his name. Haseo turns around to try to leave, but she is too quick, and blocks his path. She mentions Ovan to him, and Haseo gets a little pissed. He mentions that it's always "Ovan, Ovan, Ovan!" Ender talks a little about PKers, and how "they" play the game. She then draws a dagger, seemingly from the air, and does a little...ditty with her fingers on his stomach. She seems to enjoy his fear. She raises her blade, about to kill him, and then decides against it. She leaves, saying that he's not worth PKing. Haseo collapses.

Haseo gates back to the root town.
He sees the two female characters from earlier, still talking. They talk about their successful PK (the other male characters), and then look over at Haseo. Haseo warps to another field.

Haseo is back at the dungeon he was initially killed in. He stares at the Zeti statue, and flashes back to when Ovan first talked to him. Suddenly, a charming little ditty of classical music starts up. We see the two females from earlier. One is a wavemaster, the other a heavy axeman--er, woman. The wavemaster puts her staff away, and then punches Haseo to the ground. The heavy axeman--er, woman, then laughs, and we hear her...rather, HIS voice change to that of a male. Apparently, both of these players are simply masquerading as girls, using voice changing programs to disguise thier true gender. Haseo gets up, and pulls out his twin blades. The wavemaster casts a spell on him, which I assume was Repth, so they can toy with him some more. Commence one-sided fight. Haseo is about to be stabbed with the end of the Heavy Axe, when Shino interferes and tells them to go to the arena if they want to fight other players. They switch their voices again, and Shino approaches Haseo. He is ashamed of himself. They talk for a bit, and then the episode ends.

ROLL CREDITS

The credits start with Haseo moving erratically in the background. A ball of pink light shoots out, and strikes him down. Seeing him, the area struck is removed entirely from his character. His character then changes to wire-frame mode. We see his eyes "bleed" red. Then we see Haseo slowly falling from the sky in a crowded city, reminding me of Ghost in the Shell. We see a PC IRL, with a hand next to it. We see Haseo falling again, slowly, next to a building. His hand trembles, then transforms into a claw. His bleeding eye gains its texture again. Something drips on the floor, showing Tabby and Shino. We then see a rather sinister scythe. The camera zooms out, and we see Haseo, transformed.

ROLL USELESS EPISODE PREVIEW

This preview has no dialog, just like //SIGN, only it tells us even less about the next episode. The next episode, however, is called Twilight Brigade.

EXTRAS

Now, normally, I CANNOT STAND to use materials I did not obtain myself, but for the intro of the show I must, as my copy doesn't contain it. I got the opening from the "dothackers" website. However, the screencaps are my own. They speak for themselves, really. The only one I want to direct attention to are the ones involving "cores" of sorts. Perhaps those are the essence of the Phases?

Next, I'm going to provide you with sample of dialog from each character. These are only SAMPLES, which are really only about one line of dialog. As far as I know, this isn't illegal. If it is, then please tell me so, and I'll remove the link. Also included is a brief snippit from when Haseo was attacked by the he-she characters. This also counts as their sample.

{LINK EXPIRED AND REMOVED}

Something interesting I noticed...on the //G.U. website, under screen shots for Ovan, we see this: It appears to be a key location, having already been seen in the first episode.

ALSO! I would like to know, for future reviews, would you like me to simply list links to all the picture at the end of the review, or should I keep doing what I'm doing? On another note, once a translated version becomes available, I will make corrections to my summary is anything I mentioned is horribly wrong.

EDIT1: Blah, tag errors abound >_<
EDIT2: Yeah, btw, the reason why I didn't make the links click-able is because I didn't want to blind people with blue.
EDIT3: DAMN IT T_T I pasted over a part of my intro, fix'd now.
EDIT4: Hell, why not make things easier for people? Made links click-able.
EDIT5: Until an English version is available, I am pretty much forced to use character names that I'm personally not sure of. Aside from the obvious names (Shino, Haseo, Ovan, Ender, Naobi, Tabby) I have to rely on what I find on the net for other names. For example, I used the name "Firo" for who is now apparently "Phyllo". "Hyouoku" became "Tawaraya". For purposes of consistency, any name changes after episode 2 will NOT be acknowledged, save an official English name released. Also, for people wishing to post this summary or the pictures contained in it on their site: It is perfectly okay with me for you to LINK to this page. It is NOT okay however, for you to post the summary and screen caps, crediting it to yourself.
EDIT6: All images have been removed.
Last edited by thedudewhosadude on Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
you know...cheese soup
Lowbie

That took me extremely long to read, but wow, you did a good job. Sigh... it seems as though there are scantily clad women galore. But oh well, there's also scantily clad Haseo. (sort of)
Xeno
Player Character

Post by Xeno »

Check out the Eyecatch image. The upside down "A" is there.... I've seen this used around images of Tri-Edge alot...
Lycoris: What is the name of your spear?
Alberio: It is the Divine Spear of Wotan.
Lycoris: It is a Spear of God.
Alberio: That's right.
kiruku

Post by kiruku »

WOAH,dude, you musta' killed yourself doin this! is that grunty thing standing on TWO legs?also i think it is pretty obvious that the grunty thing would have a light voice.it appears that ovan will play a very,very important role.i personally think the twilight brigade wil be,in a way,the new crimson knights.Ovan almost reminds me of orca,in a sense,because he sort of introduces haseo to the World.i also think it is a wee bit too early to be showing Tri Edge.All in all,that was a great review!!! :D
Last edited by kiruku on Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Like I said, I'm VERY thorough with what I do ^_^ I'll be working on //A.I. Busters 2 again soon, since the raw of episode 2 isn't out yet.

Although, I would like some input! Should I keep the way I do summaries the same (with picture links in the middle of the summaries) or should I just post them all at the end?

OR

Should I "rar" all the images, and just post the rapidshare link at the end?

Also, the title of this thread has changed; I'll be posting all the episode summaries here.

And, If I'm not mistaken, Twilight Brigade is the name of the guild that Ovan leads.
you know...cheese soup
Lowbie

I think you should keep the way you do summaries. Or whichever way is easier for you.
End of a Shadow
Player Character

Post by End of a Shadow »

Or you could come work for me at my dothack site and have access to a thumbnail and image upload system and integrate those thumbnails into your posts :wink:
.hack//Integral -- A .hack up-to-date information, discussion,
text-based roleplaying, gallery, store, giveaways, and more site!
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Thanks, but I'd rather stay with my...roots? Razz[/bad pun]

Also, it seems that some of my screen shots (15) already made their way to your gallery. The quality and size are consistent ~_~ I'll just stay here =P Although, I wouldn't mind you removing the watermark on those images...watermarks are the one thing that bother me the most ^_^;...if you could, please remove the watermark. If you cannot for some reason, then please remove the images.

GENERAL NOTES: I really feel that this episode showcases the series music and visuals. Not as in "Ooh, ah, that's flashy!" but details. There are MANY unique background characters in this episode! Another thing to note, this is also where I feel that the series MIGHT fall into a potential flop. More on this after the summary!

The episode starts on a grassy hill. There is what appears to be a small animate toy horse sitting with Shino. Shino just gets up, moves around a bit, bends down to pet the thing, and the...thing eats grass.

Episode 2 - Twilight Brigade

We see Tabby and Shino back at the place similar to Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground. Shino explains to Tabby that this place is known as the "Lost Ground." Tabby was previously unaware of its location. Apparently, the Lost Ground is as exclusive as Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground; there's only one area like it. Ovan walks in, a little late. Tabby is excited to meet Ovan, and it would appear that Ovan intends to recruit Tabby to the Twilight Brigade. Shino recommends that they go "home," which is the guild's headquarters. Ovan asks where Shino's going, and she replies "To where "he" is." "He" is obviously referring to Haseo.

Back in the root town, a surprising amount of background characters have seemed to pop up from nowhere. We see the town gate, which is apparently different from the field gate: Haseo gates in, and moments later Shino walks out from the shadows. She assures Haseo that PKs can't attack in towns, but Haseo argues that he didn't care about that. Through Shino, Haseo learns that Ovan thinks he has "potential." Haseo then asks Shino what exactly she is to Ovan. She somewhat hedges the question, since Haseo addressed her in an informal way. He basically called her "Yo" and she clarified that her name was "Shino." Shino (calling Haseo Haseo-kun) then extends an invitation to Haseo to join her guild. Haseo refuses to answer until Shino answers his previous question. Shino reveals that she is the substitute guild-master, for when Ovan isn't there, for the Twilight Brigade. Upon Haseo asking what they do, Shino replies that they are searching for four words that make my ears bleed: Key of the Twilight. Haseo asks where Ovan is; he's currently with Tabby. Haseo then declines Shino's invitation. She says that he is "needed" but at the same time doesn't pressure him any further. Shino gives Haseo her member address, and then leaves him with a bit of advice: "When you talk to someone, look at her in the eyes." Haseo asks why he should bother looking at simply the image of someone. But this time, we DON'T get the typical 'THE NET IS THE SAME AS THE REAL WORLD!" reply. Instead, Shino explains that even though babies can't talk, they still look at their mother's face. She asks him if he can do something that even a child can. She then leaves Haseo, stunned.

We are now taken to "home" (what I formally thought was Shino's hideout). Sakisaka (who I formally called Kousaka) is waiting at the top, having been waiting for Ovan for a while. It seems that Tabby's taken an interest in that...thing as well. She also visits the Grunty Food Tree. Ovan introduces Tabby to Sakisaka, who is apparantly now her partner.

Phyllo (formally Firo) is talking to Haseo again on the bridge. Haseo askes Phyllo about the Twilight Brigade, and Phyllo starts talking about the Key of the Twilight. Honestly, the speech here is copy+paste from every other piece of .hack media. "power to change things outside rules of the game, only a BBS rumor, etc, etc." One thing to mention though, is that Phyllo says "Some say it even lets you change the rules of the game from its root." Possible meaning of the title? Maybe. Haseo mentions that such an item couldn't exist, and then mentions the Twilight Brigade again. Haseo's under the impression that all guilds are vast and full of members. Since he's a n00b, he's wrong. Phyllo then asks if Haseo wants to meet with a former member. Haseo agrees.

We now see Sakisaka fighting on the field. He mentions to Tabby that it was the 45th enemy. Tabby, being a little n00blet is pretty damn stupid While she's standing around doing nothing, Sakisaka's out there, fighting and OWNING. A monster approaches and Sakisaka goes to Tabby. He tells her that since she is the leader, she has to start the "combo-attack." Finally, she does and they defeat the enemy.

Back in root town, Haseo gates in. He sees the former member, Reset leaning up against a wall. She tells Haseo to follow her, and like a puppy, he does.

EYECATCH GET!

Haseo notices that the area that they are in is getting narrower. Reset says it's because she doesn't want anyone hearing that she was once part of the Twilight Brigade. Apparently, this means that Whisper Chat mode was been done away with. She explains that she used to be part of the guild, really to learn more about Ovan than the Key of the Twilight. She asks Haseo why he's interested, and he replies Ovan as well. She warns him that even if he joins, he won't learn anything about Ovan, and that he'll be used. Then Reset remembers that there was another member who used to be in the guild as well. She contacts him, and tells Haseo that he's a "little hard to work with."

We now see Tawaraya (formally Hyouoku) lying on the ground like a blob. He and Ender talk for a little while, until Ender's blade catches Tawaraya's eye. She doesn't want to give it to him, but mentions that she wants a unique weapon in The World: The Key of the Twilight. She wants to "make from it" a weapon able to destroy anything in a single hit. Tawaraya asks if she believes in that rumor, and she denies it. But she does mention that Naobi's looking for it. Tawaraya simply thinks that Naobi's interested in it because Ovan is. Then he leaves for work.

Shino and Ovan are back at the Lost Ground. Shino thinks that Ovan should go ask Haseo himself. Shino is sure that Haseo will join their ranks though, based on women's intuition.

At some field, Haseo is waiting for the contact that Reset was talking about. All of a sudden, a man jumps at Haseo, and starts a fight. After some stylish moves, Haseo is about to fall off a cliff, when the stranger stops. He has deemed Haseo worthy of his presence, and invites him to sit down. He [I don't believe his name was mentioned] talks about Ovan, throwing some shade to him, asking Haseo if he thinks that his arm is a cheat-item. He then charges Haseo an "information fee." He then decides that Haseo's body would be ample payment, until he backs off. He, just like Ender, just wanted to scare Haseo.

Ovan is waiting for Haseo when he gates in. He asks Haseo if he's been leveling up on his own. Apparently, Ovan's waiting for someone, Tabby. Tabby runs off to shop, and Haseo and Ovan talk. Ovan's reason for looking for the Key is to make the game more interesting, in his search. He invites Haseo to search with him, and Haseo says he'll think about it. He walks away.

On Phyllo's Bridge, a shadowy figure arrives. It is Naobi. Phyllo is able to predict why Naobi came; he wants information on Haseo. They move to another location.

We now see Shino on her hill again, talking to that...thing. She believes that Haseo will join, for sure.

ROLL CREDITS

ROLL USELESS PREVIEW

NOTES: One thing I was disturbed to hear about again was the Key of the Twilight...the damn topic can't stay buried in .hack media. As of RIGHT NOW, I feel like I'm watching .hack//SIGN, only with guilds instead of less-organized groups. I'm really hoping for a difference in upcoming episodes.

See you all next episode Join!
Last edited by thedudewhosadude on Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
kiruku

Post by kiruku »

same as your last one,but eh...still good.i also agree with you.why cant they stop on that whole''key of twighlight thing''!its old!
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Just as a note, I fixed up episode one, so the summary's complete. Also, even though the series airs on Wednesdays, I may not be able to post an update until Friday/Saturday, due to getting a translation, uploading and resizing the caps, etc. Please be patient, although I will try to have each episode out by the following Saturday. You'll know if a new episode was posted because the title of the thread will change to reflect what episode was most recently posted.
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

After watching the first episode, I really must say......... the character design team must be the same one that did the designs for SIGN. Why do I make this assumption? Because they're ugly. D:

However, I really liked how childish Haseo is. He's rather arogant & anxious to be indipendent. It was funny how he just mindlessly slashes. XD
I cast FAIL on those who mock my old signature.