.hack//Dark Enigma

Posting and discussion of fanart, cosplay, and fanfics.

Moderators: Sora, Balmung, Bear, Kite

thedudewhosadude
Legend

.hack//Dark Enigma

Post by thedudewhosadude »

*Stretches* Well, guess what! Andrew decided to stop being so lazy during the summer and put his spare time to use! I looked through my computer for my other two fics, but to no avail. I decided that even if I did find them, they'd be on permanent suspension. I am now devoting my time to my newest fic, .hack//Dark Enigma. Oo, sounds dark! Anyway, time for background! .hack//Dark Enigma takes place right after defeating Corbenik phase 3. Yup, right after its death. This means that if you haven't beaten Corbenik yet (and plan to) then this story will spoil you! You have been warned! The spoilers start....now! Anyway, this takes place after Corbenik Drained Heart-ed the .hackers. It starts with an event that should sound familliar to you. However, something's different this time. Something's....wrong. I'll only be posting the first chapter today, but expect more to come! (Until school starts again; then you'll have to hit me to remind me ^vv^) Here it is!

.hack//Dark Enigma Chapter 1

“Why me? Why am I the only one still alive?�

Kite couldn’t believe it. The girl who held the key to the lives of his friends and the future of the world was dead. What’s more, Kite had killed her. He didn’t mean to do; she just jumped in the way. Kite could still remember that one terrible moment. He was full of rage, and sought to destroy the final phase.

“I’m not giving up!� Kite yelled as he ran towards Corbenik. He had come so far, only to lose his best friends. That thought is what triggered his rage; his power. All he could think about was Yasuhiko lying in the hospital bed, motionless. Kite had no way to help his friend, but he knew someone that could. The child of light, Aura. The ultimate AI. The product of Harold and Emma’s love. Kite sought to find and help Aura, but only ended up being her assassin.

The thought of Aura made Kite start to cry. He had wanted to destroy Corbenik so terribly that he had blocked all other thought out. Kite still couldn’t imagine how he could have missed that blur of white flying towards him. He reminisced and remembered Aura’s final moment; how unselfish she had been. She gave her life to destroy Corbenik and restore the comatose players. Or at least, that was her intention. Corbenik was destroyed, but the comatose players remained motionless. Kite remembered that awful piercing sound, and then…

“AURA!�

She had given her life up, but for what? “Was her death in vain? Why did Aura live if she only died?� Kite thought to himself. It had been one week since Aura’s death and Morganna’s downfall, but everything remained the same. CC Corp. decided to keep the game online since it had suddenly become stable. Players started to come online again, and CC Corp continued to rake in money. Kite had sent several e-mails to CC Corp on the comatose players, but they were all ignored. Kite slumped against a wall in Mac Anu and thought, “Why me? Why am I the only one still alive?� Kite didn’t want to be the only one alive. He wanted to play this game for what it was, a game. Kite wanted to play it with his friends, alive and well. Kite would find a way to bring Aura and everyone else back. He had to. It was his obligation as a person…no, as a friend.

“There has to be a way,� Kite said to himself. “Nothing is impossible. All you have to do is believe!� Kite ran to the chaos gate and entered in some keywords. The screen faded, and reappeared with the keywords that he was headed to: Delta Chosen Hopeless Nothingness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I'm well aware the plot hasn't started yet! Every story needs a beginning, and this is the beginning for this story! I'll update when I can, and I am NOT going to abandon this story. Please post comments below! Constructive criticism is greatly welcomed!
Last edited by thedudewhosadude on Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only young once, but you're NEVER too old to be immature.
Puppy
Lowbie

Post by Puppy »

This is a very good fanfic, dudewhosthedude :)
*Shugo* Oh look, a puppy!
*"Puppy* Growlithe!!! [does flamethrower]
*Shugo* Damn Pokemon cameos! Gotta catch 'em all!
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Thank you! Anyway, I figure that I might as well get as far ahead with this story as I can, so I made a second chapter! Chances are the third chapter won't be out for at least 3 days. Maybe. Anyway, here it is!

Chapter Two

Kite looked down at where his bracelet should be. He noticed that it wasn’t shining, (mainly since it wasn’t there) unlike the first time he had come there. Kite came with Blackrose in pursuit of Aura. It was also where they met Skeith, the first phase. It was also the place where Aura was Data Drained…�Aura?� Kite asked in surprise.

“I see you received…the mail I sent you, yet it’s too late,� Aura said with a hint of sadness in her voice.

“Wait! There’s something I need to ask you—� Kite was cut-off as Skeith’s wand appeared behind Aura. “NO!!!� Kite yelled out. Aura seemed to just float there for a minute, and then bowed her head down. Aura had accepted her fate, and selflessly sacrificed herself for Kite.

Kite snapped back to reality when a Magic Portal opened behind him. Kite ran away from the monsters and towards the dungeon. “If you want to re-do something,� Kite thought, “You’ll have to start from the beginning.� Kite entered the dungeon and looked around. Everything was like it was before…when everyone was still conscious. He still knew the way to the bottom of the dungeon, to where Skeith was.

Kite looked ahead and saw his target. It was the final room in the dungeon. It used to be blocked off, but now that barrier seemed to be gone. Kite cautiously walked forward into the room and prepared himself for the worst. What he found was far from what he could have ever imagined. Kite looked around and noticed that he was on the phase field. Every fight against a phase has taken place at this mysterious field. He didn’t know how he got there, but he didn’t really care.

“I see you received…the mail I sent you, yet it’s too late.� The words seemed to ring in Kite’s ears as he heard them a second time. He turned around to see Aura, exactly the same as he had seen her the first time she said those words. But this wasn’t Aura. Kite knew that this couldn’t be Aura…could it?

“Wait! There’s something I need to ask you—� Kite saw what appeared to be himself talking to Aura. He now saw that both Aura and himself were phantoms, just like those characters he had seen a while back at the chapel. Kite knew what would happen next, but couldn’t bear to see it. However, just as the fight was about to start, the phantoms dispersed in the air. In their place was a single treasure chest.

Kite opened the chest, and took out the item. It was a dead rose that had become black. When Kite looked at it, it was simply titled “Aromatic Grass� but Kite knew that this was no ordinary piece of Aromatic Grass. Kite went back to town and put the delicate flower in the Elf Haven.

“A rose,� Kite thought to himself. “A rose that’s black. Black and dead.� How similar the rose was to Blackrose! Blackrose wasn’t dead though, she was simply in a coma. “Simply in a coma? How is that ‘simply’?� Kite said to no one in particular. Kite wondered if maybe there were more items that resembled players. Perhaps if he were to collect them all he could find a clue to help them and Aura. Kite then noticed his HP dwindling slightly. He looked at his hand and noticed a small thorn embedded in his glove. “No rose comes without its thorns,� Kite thought, “Especially Blackrose.�

EDIT: Added italics to both chapters so you can tell when Kite's thinking.
EDIT2: Ano...I forgot that Kite lost the bracelet in the Cubia fight and Aura gave it back after the game. Edited first paragraph of Chapter 2.
Tsunami the Silver Dragon
Player Character

Post by Tsunami the Silver Dragon »

Hmm... Very creative.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

P.S.

Is Mia going to be in this by any chance?
"For all the Dreamers out there, our planet's dream isn't over yet."

"Jill, this is for you."
Puppy
Lowbie

Post by Puppy »

I don't want to repeat myself, (look above), so here goes: This is an extravagant fanfic, dudewhosadude :D
*Shugo* Oh look, a puppy!
*"Puppy* Growlithe!!! [does flamethrower]
*Shugo* Damn Pokemon cameos! Gotta catch 'em all!
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Thanks! Tsunami: I PMed you with the answer to your question. Well, I know it's short, but this chapter basically sets the first story arc into motion.

Chapter Three

Kite took the rose back out from the Elf Haven and inspected it. Sure enough, it had thorns. However, these thorns were small, and somewhat less threatening than that of a real rose. Kite wondered how a rose could have appeared in the game. Then he thought back to the final fight. Corbenik hadn’t used just Data Drain; it used Drain Heart. When Kite used Drain Heart, it Data Drained multiple enemies and took rare items from them. Perhaps it had done the same for his fallen comrades? If this rose represented Blackrose, then there should also be an item for each of his comrades.

The only problem that Kite could think of is where he would find them. He could re-visit the dungeons that he had found the phases at, but there were only six of those, and one was already used up. There were fifteen people that fell unconscious during the final fight, and he had already found one of their items. However, there was still Orca. Orca was whom Kite had originally set out to wake from his coma. The problem with Orca was that he was just Data Drained, not Drain Hearted.

“Does that mean that I can’t save Yasuhiko?� Kite thought to himself. He couldn’t let that stop him though; he was on a mission now. He had to find the other items of the players. Once he colleted them all he’d…well, Kite really didn’t know what he’d do, but he knew something would pop up along the way. Kite figured he should make the best of what he had, and took off to Lambda Ressurecting Confused Judgement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is an appropriate time to announce my companion to .hack//Dark Enigma, entitled .hack//Dark Enigma--The Other Side. .hack//DE--TOS will premier with the fourth chapter of .hack//DE. I know that it seems somewhat premature to be making something else related to //DE when I haven't even finished the first story arc, but this way will keep me motivated and will prevent plot holes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I lied! //DE--TOS will premier with chapter three; that's right, it's right below! When I post future chapter of the //DE saga, I will post DE first, and then DE--TOS right below it.
EDIT2: I lied again! I forgot to post the first chapter! Here it is!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter One

“No! Don’t touch me! I’m warning you!� Blackrose said to the giant hand. She didn’t know how the hand, or she, got to where they were, but she knew that the hand meant to pick her up. “All right, that’s enough! You’ve had your chance to run away!� Blackrose announced. She jumped up into the air, flipped, and successfully struck the hand with her blade. “Hah! This rose has thorns too, you know?� Blackrose said mockingly to the hand. The hand didn’t retreat, and proceeded to pick her up. Blackrose was ready to scream out when she suddenly felt light-headed. Everything was getting lighter and lighter, until suddenly…

Blackrose awoke suddenly. She sighed with relief; it was all just a dream. Blackrose picked up her blade and tried to stand up. “Wait a sec, am I still in The World?� Blackrose said to herself. Looking down at her appearance and her blade it seemed obvious, but she had never fallen asleep while playing a game. Blackrose then noticed that the ground she was standing on was blue. She had never been to a field with a blue ground, nor did she know of one that did. “What the hell is going on here?� said Blackrose as she looked in front of her. All she could see around her character was blue.

“This is…really creepy,� Blackrose thought. She picked up her blade and swung it around the blue. Eventually she found what seemed to be wall, and stuck it with her blade. The blue split open, and she walked through the newly found hole. She appeared to be in the field where Lios had first contacted them. It was completely white, and it made Blackrose uncomfortable. “How did I get here? I thought that you couldn’t access this field anymore,� Blackrose said to whoever was listening. However, there wasn’t anyone listening. Blackrose was alone.

“Why me? Why am I the only one?� Blackrose thought to herself. Normally she didn’t go anywhere without Kite, as he had the bracelet, which allowed him to Data Drain Data Bugs. Then Blackrose thought back to their final fight with Cubia. That fight was where she was forced to destroy the bracelet, the one thing that may have been able to save Kazu, Orca, and all of the other coma victims.

Thinking of Kazu made Blackrose sad, as she was helpless to save him from his coma. Blackrose figured that she might as well find Kite so they could hunt down the final phase and destroy the wave. She pressed the triangle button, but the menu didn’t pop up. “What, did they change the controller settings while I was asleep or something?� Blackrose thought to herself. She pressed all the other buttons on the controller but then realized that she wasn’t holding a controller. She was holding her sword.
kageko
Lowbie

Post by kageko »

Good work, thedudewhosadude!=D The story is nice.^^
Please be patient with my poor English...>.>""
Its Not a Game
Player Character

Post by Its Not a Game »

Its good to see that your still here with some other of the old users. Anyway great so far, 'Side Quest' stories are always fun. Dont forget to finish it.
"That power you have... is the same power that put Orca into a coma!" - Balmung
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Sorry for not updating in a while, computer got really messed up. Here's chapter four!

Chapter Four

Kite ran all the way to the bottom of the dungeon, motivated to see what he could find. Once again Kite was greeted with the phase field, but then noticed that there wasn’t anyone else there. There weren’t any phantoms or memories to greet him, so Kite sat down to think for a bit. “Is it not working because the phase fields are the same? Maybe the warp goes to the same field, regardless of where it’s from,� Kite thought to himself. “Alright then, I’ll find another way!� said Kite.

Kite went back to Delta and thought about who he’d have to save. There was Balmung, Lios, Helba, Elk, Mistral, Moonstone, Orca, Piros, Natsume, Marlo, Nuke, Terijima, Wiseman, Gardenia, and Blackrose. Kite already had Blackrose’s item, so that made fourteen people. Kite sighed and thought, “Can I really do this alone? How am I supposed to save fourteen people?� Kite decided that he should just go to random places, as he really had no idea where the character items would appear.

Kite took off to Lambda Merciless Grieving Furnace, which also happened to be the place where he met Aura and gave her one of her fragments. Everything still looked the same as it had the last time he’d been there. Kite walked through the dungeon, quickly killing all that tried to oppose him. Soon Kite was at the bottom of the dungeon, right before the final room. That was the room where he had been reunited with Aura and attacked for the first time by Cubia. Kite took in a deep breath and proceeded forward.

At first Kite didn’t see or hear anything. Eventually, Kite was able to hear the voice of a woman. He could only hear bits and pieces of the conversation, but Kite thought that he should be able to figure it out.

“…beautiful, but she…� the voice said. Kite then remembered when he had come here with Mistral. She had said the same thing when she first saw Aura. Kite looked around, but still couldn’t see any phantoms. Kite then started to see something blue.

“Is that my hair?� Kite said. Kite then saw the blue object was more than just hair length; it seemed to be just a pillar of blue. Kite then noticed that several pillars of blue were appearing rapidly. The pillars sprung from the ground, and Kite finally knew where the pillars came from. “Cubia,� Kite said. Kite was then lifted up into the air to fight Cubia, again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, no The Other Side chapter today. By the way, I just happened to find my other two fics....so I might start up on those again...
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Sorry Mods for the double post; wanted to 'bump' it in a way...anyway, I'm sorry for the short lengths of these two chapters, but the next ones will make up for it! I'll be working on four fanfics during my week in Virginia, (3 .hack, 1 Digimon) and when I come back I'll just type them into the computer and post them! Here's chapters Five and Two!

Chapter Five

Kite remembered his fights with Cubia. It wasn't too long ago that he had fought Cubia, but this appeared to be Cubia's first form. All Kite had to do was strike at the core, with either magic or physical attacks. The core appeared from Cubia and Kite drew his blades. He struck at the core, and prepared to strike again when he saw something strange. Cubia started to pulse, and sent out waves of blue. The waves and pulsing came closer and closer together until they were just one continuous motion and sound. Cubia then faded into the blue and disappeared. Kite would wondered what happened, but he was quickly forced back to Delta.

Kite sat down near the stream and tried to come up with a solution to what had happened. Kite had already destroyed Cubia, so there would be no reason for it to show up again. Perhaps it was a phantom as well? Kite pondered some more, and concluded that the Cubia he met up with was indeed a phantom. However, if Cubia was still alive in some form, then that ment that the other phases must be 'alive' as well. Kite then checked his pockets for anything that might be useful, and came across a new item. It was called a 'Treasure Scope' but it looked just like a Faerie's Orb.

Kite was ready to discard it when he remembered that he had seen Mistral just before the fight with Cubia. He then put the Treasure Scope in the Elf Haven and whispered to himself, "Two down, thirteen to go."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Two

“What! Why? Why can’t I log out? Why am I interacting in The World and not in the real world?!� Blackrose screamed out. What she said was true; every movement that she made took place in the game, and not in the real world. Blackrose calmed down and thought of what she could do to help herself. Blackrose remembered that there was a player a while back that couldn’t log out. They said that he had all of his senses in the game, but he was still physically alive outside the game. Blackrose wasn’t sure what his name was, but maybe she could seek him out to find help.

Blackrose calmed down, and figured that it might just be a hidden feature or something. She breathed a sigh of relief and started to walk again. Blackrose decided to try out the new feature, and cast Rai Smash. Sure enough, Blackrose could feel herself flying up into the air, flipping, and then striking a nonexistant enemy. Blackrose laughed a bit, thinking about how stupid she was for believing that she was stuck in the game. She could leave at any time, like she could leave now, but....no, not yet, she thought that she would like to experiment with her abilites a little bit more.

Blackrose played around with her sword for a bit, getting used to its new weight. She noticed that when she let it drag across the ground it left lines. She took the sword and carved the name 'Kazu' into the ground. She missed him so much and longed to play the game with him again. Blackrose then noticed a blueish light coming from the ground. The light got brighter until she could no longer see Kazu's name. The light then subsided, but the blue remained on the ground. Blackrose looked closer at the blue and noticed a face looking back at her.

Blackrose looked closer and noticed that the face also had a head and body. Upon even further inspection, she noticed that it was a male. He appeared to be sleeping, but why inside of the ground? An terrible feeling came to her stomach as she relized who the sleeping boy was. It was Kazu, and he closer than ever, but even farther than before.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, sorry for the short-ness, but have fun with your summer reading :wink: ! This is Sensei Andrew, logging out!