One last time...

Posting and discussion of fanart, cosplay, and fanfics.

Moderators: Sora, Balmung, Bear, Kite

Tsunami the Silver Dragon
Player Character

One last time...

Post by Tsunami the Silver Dragon »

This is where my story is located.

I know that we got off to a really bad start with it before but at the time I was still new to writing stories on the net.

If you feel like giving me another chance then fine. If you don't then fine.

Either way I'm going to continue writing it.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2616162/1/

Please let me know what you think.
"For all the Dreamers out there, our planet's dream isn't over yet."

"Jill, this is for you."
Player Character

Sorry to post again but I was just curious as to why no one is interested in my stories?

I mean, I've worked really hard on them and it's different then when I had posted the last time.

"Jill, this is for you."
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Post by thedudewhosadude »

It's not quite that; this forum's simple quite...idle as of right now.

Occasionally I'll do a summary on a //ROOTS episode (have 8 in the queue right now) or someone new will come on asking a single question or so. Once the new games come out, there will probably be a population boost. Maybe.

Anyway, simply put: different strokes for different folks. Also, people might be interested, just not posting anything about them.

If I remember correctly, the thing I didn't like about your stories was the fact that you were in them.

Okay, the phrasing sounds wrong in that. But generally, I don't like "Mary Sue" stories, regardless of if Tsunami is your RP character or not. That's just me.
You're only young once, but you're NEVER too old to be immature.
Player Character

The weird thing though, is that at that time I hadn't heard of any of the ideas in my story being used before.

I was just trying to come up with it off the top of my head.

Being a writer isn't easy.

There are so many themes and ideas that have already been expressed that there's almost nothing left to be told as new.

That's why, if I've heard about it before then I let myself hear about it again just to see what the writter might do with the story itself.

That's basically what a fan fiction is anyway, right?

The idea or theme of the story expressed and shaped differently according to the will of a different writter that wrote the story.

It's all about just having fun and enjoying the story no matter where it leads to.

At least, that's how I precive it.

"Jill, this is for you."
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Post by thedudewhosadude »

Well, in the end, it's something you'll be proud of...or maybe not, depending on how you do it. Trust me, I know that being a writer isn't easy--that's why I abandoned my fanfics. Rather, put them on permanent hiatus ~_^. At this time, I still have to write out the scripts for a trilogy, film two movies from a DIFFERENT trilogy, and start writing episodes for a different series. I have all the ideas in my head, but putting them on paper, and editing them to be appealing to others? You have to make sacrafices.

Maybe I'm trying to sound too professional here, but I take great pride in my work and strive to make it as enjoyable as possible. One can't take their own selfish ideals and try to show it to others. Sure, some will like it, but forcing your opinions on someone else won't make things better.

However, I disagree strongly--there are PLENTY of themes and ideas that haven't been expressed yet. That's what I think your weakness as a writer might lie--you're thinking too much "inside the box." The thing is, when you try to find something that no one's written about, you end up just knowing what HAS been done. It's much easier to just write something out, and then step back from it. No matter how much work and time you put into it, criticize it 'till it's dead. What can you do to change it from every other story? Maybe there's a small twist that won't affect the plot that heavilly, but will change a character altogether?

I agree though, it IS all about having fun and enjoying the story. Note though, as I said in an earlier post, not everyone enjoys the same thing. In the most basic way I can put this, not everyone eats spagetti. Nor can anyone force everyone to eat spagetti. What I'm trying to say is that you should enjoy your story no matter where it ends up--my comments are a tad bit harsh because I treat most all work as professionally as I can (fortunatly, none of them have due dates ~_^) I think that it "deserves" my critique, since so much effort was made to bring it from the world of ideas to paper.

Thank you though, my rambling (really, that's all the paragraphs above are. Most of my comments are actually misenterpreting or just supporting your claims) has brought me the inspiration to begin work on the Virus Anticlea films again.

Good luck with the rest of your story.
You're only young once, but you're NEVER too old to be immature.