So that's who that is!

.hack//Liminality (OAV) and games discussion. No spoilers!

Moderators: Sora, Balmung, Bear, Kite

thedudewhosadude
Legend

Post by thedudewhosadude »

Hm...this wasn't really meant to disprove the Helba=Kaoru Asaba theory, but oh well. The main purpose of the card being posted here was so that people would stop referring to her as solidly Helba. The thing is, there isn't any proof aside from the fact that she shares the same voice actress with Helba that actually places her as Helba. With that as the support for the theory, the argument is very weak. There isn't any proof against it, however. I'm going to watch the 2nd and 4th liminality disks now, to see if there was anything I missed.
You're only young once, but you're NEVER too old to be immature.
Junko
Player Character

Post by Junko »

Oh, I see. Well, we did know her name was Asaba at least... During the 2nd or begining of the 3rd game, isn't Helba away from Netslum? I always though that if she was Helba, that would be the reason...
キー・オブ・ザ・トワイライトってなに?
thedudewhosadude
Legend

It is in the third game, when the little green guy tells you to get the Data Bug flying around, right? And not much turned up with a revisit to liminality, just a sentence by her which said that she rarely uses the internet. However, that's easily coutered with "She has uber-haXz0r skillz; she wouldn't go flaunting her name around." Anything solid still? Nope. Not much evidence either way, but I see it as Asaba is not Helba.
Junko
Player Character

Post by Junko »

Yeah. Definitely up in the air. But I think it would be hillarious if both theories were true and Mistral and Helba were close friends IRL. ^^;
キー・オブ・ザ・トワイライトってなに?
Tsunami the Silver Dragon
Player Character

Post by Tsunami the Silver Dragon »

Not to spontaneously change the flow of the topic or anything but I had a weird theory that she was the same person as the lead character on Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (whose name I still either can't remember or haven't heard).

But then again that's because:

1. Their character structures are the similar.

and

2. That was the time I got little to no sleep for several weeks (School sucks.)
"For all the Dreamers out there, our planet's dream isn't over yet."

"Jill, this is for you."
thedudewhosadude
Legend

>.-? That is pretty off-topic, but yeah, the voices for Motoko, Helba, and Asaba are the same. Her name is Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn.

EDIT: In .hack, she was also credited with the part of Emma...although I don't entirely remember Emma in the games...she wasn't even in them!
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

I'm not sure if I pointed this out at all, but English voice actors doing multiple roles means NOTHING.

I advise you to check if the japanese seiyuu does the same 3 in the original voice track & take your judgement from there.
I cast FAIL on those who mock my old signature.
Eggplant of the Twilight
Player Character

Post by Eggplant of the Twilight »

thedudewhosadude wrote:>.-? That is pretty off-topic, but yeah, the voices for Motoko, Helba, and Asaba are the same. Her name is Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn.

EDIT: In .hack, she was also credited with the part of Emma...although I don't entirely remember Emma in the games...she wasn't even in them!
She reads the epitaph at the beginning of the games.
I'm the missing Twilight item, Eggplant of the Twilight.
Junko
Player Character

Post by Junko »

The voice actress for Helba, Emma, Morganna, and Asaba is the same in both verisons. Tohma Yumi does the Japanese version. I always thought they English voices were done by the same person on purpose, to preserve the effect from the Japanese one, and leave it open, but maybe that's just me. I don't think I'm overestimating the amount of effort that went into the voicing process, though. I doubt neither of these people know German, and to the best of my knowledge (one year of class), their accents were pretty good.

Who's Motoko, exactly? And although Ghost in the Shell was written by the same person, I doubt there's a connection...
キー・オブ・ザ・トワイライトってなに?
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

Junko wrote: Who's Motoko, exactly? And although Ghost in the Shell was written by the same person, I doubt there's a connection...
That is the only connection that even seems reasonable.. It's like back to the point of voice actors, just because they share the same voices in different dubs, or in the same, does not make them related; but in the case of the original Japanese track, it's more debatable, because you can't be too sure if it was meant to be like that.
I cast FAIL on those who mock my old signature.
thedudewhosadude
Legend

*ventures offtopic* Motoko is Motoko Kusanagi, of Section Nine, known also as The Major, and Motoko Aramaki (Man-Machine Interface) She's been a constant character throughout the entire Ghost in the Shell series, spanning the original movie, a sequal, two seasons of television shows, two video games, and two mangas. *hops fence to "on topic* Although that is very strange, that they'd mimic the choice dubbing of the japanese...perhaps there is a further connection...