New Game! .hack//FRAGMENT....ONLINE!

.hack//Liminality (OAV) and games discussion. No spoilers!

Moderators: Sora, Balmung, Bear, Kite

Xeno
Player Character

New Game! .hack//FRAGMENT....ONLINE!

Post by Xeno »

So apparently the latest issue of Famitsu broke the news... there will be another game that will be released before the first //GU game and it will be online! It's called .hack//FRAGMENT (interesting, that was the name of the beta version of The World). Players will get to create their own character and link up with two other players for online play.

It is supposedly a PS2 game but you will need a PC to play. The idea is that gameplay takes place on what they are calling an area server that runs on your PC. Your PS2 will not need a hard drive, just a network adapter... but again, you have to hook your PS2 to a PC. From what I understand, there is no monthly fee, which is good, because I hate paying extra to play games.

You will be able to use a set of dungeon creation tools to create your own dungeons (although I am not sure what they mean exactly by tools, whether or not a field is generated by keywords or not is unknown at this time.), and characters from the anime, previous games, and manga will show up in the game. I don't know much about story yet either, since its being released before //GU its possible that it will bridge the gap between //DUSK and //GU. I guess we will just have to stay tuned. [spoiler]Perhaps we will discover what went on with this new Dark Kite thats running wild in //GU.[/spoiler] It should also be said that there is offline play in addition to the online play, your two party members will be AI controlled during offline play just as in the first series of games.
Lycoris: What is the name of your spear?
Alberio: It is the Divine Spear of Wotan.
Lycoris: It is a Spear of God.
Alberio: That's right.
alucard
Player Character

Post by alucard »

Just to say that "There is IS NO .HACK ONLINE GAME IN THE WORKS" (dixit CC Corp).

It's a fake.
In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Post by thedudewhosadude »

Well, from what I've read, there is going to be another game released before .hack//G.U., althought I didn't hear a thing about its title.

EDIT: !!!!!! SCANS GET!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/ ... 0fv5qs.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/ ... ag29gr.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v418/ ... 4lk4ov.jpg

EDIT2: Behold! Official Website! http://www.hack.channel.or.jp/fragment/

EDIT3: For Bigger Versions of the images I posted, refer to where I stole them from:

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frag29gr.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8648/frag34lk4ov.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1751/frag10fv5qs.jpg

From what I can make of the pictures (can't read anything more than English, Spanish and Latin) it appears:
1) The set up will be very PSO-ish (I.e. change color, hight, width, class)
2) There are 6 classes to choose from: Twin Blade, Blademaster, Heavy Blade, Heavy Axeman, Long Arm, and Wavemaster.
3) Your character's name can be 8 letters long (damnit! That means I'll have to be 'Thedude')
4) Color choices are Red, Blue, Yellow, Lime Green, Orange, and Flamingo Pink
5) I think that you can modify your character's starting stats (like in Fire Attack, Ice Defense, etc) It seems to work on a "sims" style (i.e. you're given a set amount of points [here, 99] to spend on their attributes.
6) It will have the same party system as the games (3 to a party)
7) Something to do with Liminality?
8) Something to do with .hack//Mutation?
9) Dungeon editor via PC.
10) Balmung, Shugo and Rena will make an appearance.
11) You need Ethernet (basically, if you have cable, you're okay [I think?])
12) We're going to see soooo many Tsukasa/Kite clones T.T
You're only young once, but you're NEVER too old to be immature.
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

I found somemore information on another website, I may aswell post it:
"With .hack//fragment, Bandai and co-developers Cyber Connect 2 and Artdink are taking the series into the realm of true Online gameplay for the first time. Using a standard network adapter (no need for a hard disk) you'll have the option of adventuring alongside players throughout Japan (this is the Japanese version we're talking about -- the US version should allow for play against US-based gamers).

When playing Online, you first create your own character. You can give your character a name, profession and gender, and even modify its physical appearance. Once you have a character, you enter a lobby and search for two other players to join you on an adventure. Gameplay in .hack//fragment takes place in groups of three.

"Using Artdink's expertise in Online game's development, Bandai is promising a full-fledged Online experience. The game includes an Online interface that lets players chat, send e-mail and read news. You can even create guilds, which seem to be chat rooms exclusively for your friends.

Bandai will not be charging a monthly fee for playing, but there's a catch. While Bandai is setting up a matching server, actual gameplay takes place on an "area server," which runs on your own PC. Specific details on how the PC and PS2 will connect should follow in a future update.

Bandai is actually making this strange Online system into part of the game. Your PC represents a section of the .hack world, and using dungeon creation tools, you can create your own dungeons and areas. This is, of course, in addition to adventuring through the worlds that Bandai has created."
I still think this is a stupid idea, but I'll be mature & keep my opinions of the topic to myself.
I cast FAIL on those who mock my old signature.
Xeno
Player Character

Post by Xeno »

It seems as if the offline element of the game will play a major role as well, This is probabally how you will advance the story. I would imagine the story specific dungeons and/or sequences would take place offline.

The graphics don't seem to have improved much over the first four games.
We'll see how it turns out, honestly I don't think that .hack had enough US fans to warrant a english adaptation but who knows.
Lycoris: What is the name of your spear?
Alberio: It is the Divine Spear of Wotan.
Lycoris: It is a Spear of God.
Alberio: That's right.
Eggplant of the Twilight
Player Character

Post by Eggplant of the Twilight »

Oh, it'll probably come over. I too think it's a pretty stupid idea, but eh, it makes money.

All of the important stuff will probably be accessible offline, while levelling and adventuring can be done online...
I'm the missing Twilight item, Eggplant of the Twilight.
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Meh, I'm one of the people who will buy it anyway, for completion...and no monthly fee! Now that PSO Beta's gone, I need some kind of free (well, mostly free, except for the purchasing fee, which could be avoided by pirating the game [but since I looooove .hack, and I'm a sucker for its products, I'll buy it anyway]) online game to take up my time! Although I do fear all the Sora clones and such that are bound to be running around...speaking of which, I wonder if you'll be able to actually change your character 'type'? For example, both Kite, Sora and Moonstone are Male Twin Blades. Sora and Moonstone are similar looking, but don't compare at all to Kite.
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

thedudewhosadude wrote:speaking of which, I wonder if you'll be able to actually change your character 'type'? For example, both Kite, Sora and Moonstone are Male Twin Blades. Sora and Moonstone are similar looking, but don't compare at all to Kite.
According to the information provided, you'll pick a class, & you'll be given one body. With that body, you can change the clothes colour. yay?
Xhacker
Legend

Post by Xhacker »

join 2 other people? that means we would be playing with 2 other strangers everytime?

i suddently dont feel safe in my own pc.....
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Well, they don't have to be strangers...they could be your friends...also, keep in mind that this is offline as well, so you'll be playing with some AI as well.
Luminere_Aurion

Post by Luminere_Aurion »

I am just thinking, withour Morganna and The Wave to cause trouble in The World, it would just the same as the other MMORPGs... or maybe, its just me.

PS: FYI: I am new
Elk
I AM BATMAN

Post by Elk »

Luminere_Aurion wrote:I am just thinking, withour Morganna and The Wave to cause trouble in The World, it would just the same as the other MMORPGs... or maybe, its just me.

PS: FYI: I am new
*Nods* That's true... That's why it seems as if it will lack story.. (hence why a Fragment section hasn't been made. XD)
Gardenia_fan1

release date

Post by Gardenia_fan1 »

does ne one know when .hack//fragment is goin to be released? is it going to be soon i sure hope so.
thedudewhosadude
Legend

Well, from the scans, I can pick out a 2005, so I'm guessing Late/Holiday 2005 for Japan, and early 2006. It'll come out before .hack//G.U., though.
Gardenia_fan1

Post by Gardenia_fan1 »

oh really? when is gu comin out? and from your opinon what do you think will be better? and is fragment going to be anything liek the 4 .hack games? sorry for all of my questions