The Horrors of Pluto's Kiss

Inactive threads from other boards are stored here.
ThePhoenix
Lowbie

The Horrors of Pluto's Kiss

Post by ThePhoenix »

What exactly was so horrible about PLuto's Kiss? No one died or anything, unlike Deadly Flash where thousands of people died.
It just made the computers crash, so what?
Yea, sure everything woudl go hay wire and maybe missles would be shot out from every direction and nearly all electricity would go away, but is that really so unbelievably horrible?
A comatose huh?
sounds a bit fishy to meee....
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

Use your imagination, or read some old Y2K predictions.
Xebexz
Player Character

Post by Xebexz »

Invisible Egg! wrote:Use your imagination, or read some old Y2K predictions.
That and try out that ncie spoiler system Bear created with his bare (lol - sorry) hands, for you. It might help for some people that don't want to know the ending. -_^
"Hey Mr. Wonderful oh you're so incredible, hey Mr. Wonderful, a miracle to me." --DDR, Smile .dk
CRtwenty
Legend

Post by CRtwenty »

Deadly Flash didn't kill thousands, it only killed 7 people I believe... Anyway Pluto's Kiss is BAD... as it shut down ALL computers, imagine your bank account suddenly getting deleted, or having somebody shoot nuclear missles from their PC... You have to remember that in .hack, almost everything is hooked up to a computer, so an attack like Pluto's Kiss could basically end civilization if used properly.
"Hark he of Fair eyes, I am CRtwenty of the Azure Keyboard!"
Sora
Shaka Shaka Maraca

Post by Sora »

Xebexz wrote:That and try out that ncie spoiler system Bear created with his bare (lol - sorry) hands, for you. It might help for some people that don't want to know the ending. -_^
Don't forget that Bear didn't code the spoiler system, Xebexz -_-; And that isn't the ending, that's stuff that happened in the past.

CRtwenty is correct. Pluto's Kiss threw the world into chaos because, by that time, almost everything was run by computers. Imagine if all the computers in the world just stopped working today. What would you be able to do? Airports could no longer function, the military would have DEFINITE problems (like the missiles that were shot when the system went down), likely, the traffic lights in the city are run by computers and they would start malfunctioning. E-mail based communication would cease, companies would lose their records and possibly go bankrupt... All in all, Pluto's Kiss was a Very Bad Thing(tm), even if nobody died directly because of it.
----------------------------------
"Sora KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!"

Don't hate me because I'm l337iful ;_;
Tsukasa
Peanut Butter Mod

Post by Tsukasa »

Official .hack Timeline wrote:"Pluto's Kiss" outbreak occurs. All networks on the globe crash on December 24th. Almost all computers with communication control systems connected to the network experience malfunctions, wreaking havoc and chaos over the world. This day the network that has spread to the far reaches of the globe, "meets death." The network recovers 77 minutes after the incident, but inherent dangers such as the triggering of the United States' nuclear defense systems and automated counterstrike program, still loom. The culprit is a 10 year old grade school student. The "Democratization of Cyber Crimes" results as a consequence of the "Democratization of Information."

Pluto's Kiss: Damage reports from "pluto's kiss" include: world market chaos due to the cease of online stock exchange, blow to major hospitals with main computer failure, in turn affecting life support systems and other sugery software, destruction of client information management resulting from computer system malfunctions in the financial markets, numerous automotive and mass transit accidents due to the system failure of traffic signals, malfunction of mass transit management systems, and the cease of air traffic controls in airports resulting in airplane crashes throughout the world.
That should give you an idea of the bad juju that the Pluto's Kiss was. Triggering the US' nuclear defense systems, huh? Stock exchange is dead, hospitals went down, airports...

Take in mind, so many things in our world are computer controlled... And many more will be added in as things go on. We're at the age that we rely on computers, and the networks that they're put onto. While the computer's function does not seem to be that major, it will cause some troubles to a small number of people... If you manage to kill a computer on a major place, you will cause a large number of troubles to a large number of people. Pluto's Kiss didn't pick and choose. It hit everything.
Budget Zen: When you see something so stupid that your mind goes blank rather than try to rationalize it.
CRtwenty
Legend

Post by CRtwenty »

BTW: Do you ever find out what happened to the kid who made the Virus? Could it possibly be a younger Helba?
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

[spoiler]It's fairly logical that CC Co. created the virus to monopolize with their ALTIMIT OS. I think they just set a kid up to take the blame.[/spoiler]
CRtwenty
Legend

Post by CRtwenty »

Yes, I've thought of that possibility too, it just seems a little too convenient for them to be the ONLY OS to survive...

[spoiler]But perhaps the hacker actually was Helba, and that's why she/he's trying to bring down CCorp and Altinet.[/spoiler]
Invisible Egg!
Legend

Post by Invisible Egg! »

Of course it was conveniant.

[spoiler]They proabably designed the virus to infect every OS EXCEPT for ALTIMIT. On purpose. Not a conveniant coincidence.[/spoiler]
ThePhoenix
Lowbie

Post by ThePhoenix »

it was extrememly "lucky" for CC corp...

[spoiler]Wasn't it said that ALITMIT was created AFTER Pluto's Kiss occured? And if thats true, they may have designed the virus to infect and destroy everything after they made sure it would not hurt CC corp's own systems.[/spoiler]
A comatose huh?
Rhyste
Legend

Post by Rhyste »

ThePhoenix wrote:it was extrememly "lucky" for CC corp...

[spoiler]Wasn't it said that ALITMIT was created AFTER Pluto's Kiss occured? And if thats true, they may have designed the virus to infect and destroy everything after they made sure it would not hurt CC corp's own systems.[/spoiler]
That's what I've been saying for sometime now. >''>
Xebexz wrote:
Invisible Egg! wrote:Use your imagination, or read some old Y2K predictions.
That and try out that ncie spoiler system Bear created with his bare (lol - sorry) hands, for you. It might help for some people that don't want to know the ending. -_^
http://dothack.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1642 :roll:
and god said unto cain, "wow you're pretty stupid."
ThePhoenix
Lowbie

Post by ThePhoenix »

who have?
hrmmmm... okay then, well at least you know that other people agree with your ideas! :D

[thanks for the link, even though it wasn't needed]
A comatose huh?